had another interview...

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by shaggy, Dec 5, 2007.

1. shaggy

shaggy Byte Poster

On tuesday for a 'trainee computer engineer' at a company who distributes car diagnostic machines

interview went well, the man doing the interview said i was the best he had seen so far, out of the 9 shortlisted so far.

the job spec is things like repairing the broken laptops that get sent back if i cant resovle them over the phone, but it also includes some non IT stuff such as packing deliveries and tidying up the workshop, processing orders.

Theres no hope of career progression, theres only 8 people in the whole company, but im hoping to go to uni in september, not that they need to know that yet:rolleyes:

the remaining 4 people have interviews on thursday and if he doesnt like anyone else im assuming the job is mine, if there is someone else it goes to a second interview

everyone there is old enough to be my dad though haha

hopefully i can get there if i get it, gearbox ate itself today and the garage want £750 to rebuild it! no xmas for me :dry

Certifications: BND ICT Systems Support and Networking
    WIP: A+
  2. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Shame to hear about the gear box :(

Job sounds good though, fingers crossed the other applications won't match you and it'll be yours! Let us know if you get it :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Cars piss you off when they go wrong, I just had a head gasket replace for £740 and that was at cost because my brother runs the garage.

Good luck with the job :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. shaggy

shaggy Byte Poster

Christ man what car do you have to justify that on a head gasket?:ohmy

5. greenbrucelee

Its a BMW 318, its not really the price of the gasket they are only about £60 its the fact that the mechanics have to take the engine apart to do it and its about a 6 - 8 hour job and at £70 per hour for labour thats where the cost is.

Hopefully its ok now

6. shaggy

shaggy Byte Poster

Well i phoned the person i had an interview with today as he was a few days late getting back to me, so assumed i hadnt been successful, but wanted some feedback

turns out i had been shortlisted with one other person. the other person is going back today to meet the rest of the staff as they wernt all there when he had his interview. Then the boss is calling me back with a decsion on who he wants

He did say to me the other person is a bit older and more qualified than me, but the position was for a TRAINEE computer engineer, so i dont know how relevant experience should play in this role

so ill be watching the phone all day now!

7. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Fingers crossed for you.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  8. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Warped cylinder head!

Have you thought of getting a reconditioned gearbox? Far cheaper then a rebuild!

Good luck with this job! Fingers and toes crossed for ya!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  9. shaggy

shaggy Byte Poster

Getting a recon one will still have the same problem, the particular model gearbox is known for going at around 45-50k, so if i get a slightly newer one i may still have the same problem next year. several people in the owners club that im part of have had the same problem as me this week!

Thaks for the support!

10. shaggy

shaggy Byte Poster

well he didnt call me back like he said he would

lets hope it just got too late and he had to go home or something, hate it when people dont contact you when they say they will

11. greenbrucelee

maybe you should give them a call it you dont hear something shortly.

12. shaggy

shaggy Byte Poster

I didnt get it:(

the other person had better references apparently

back to the drawing board

13. greenbrucelee