Had an Inteview today

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by greenbrucelee, Sep 22, 2007.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Not sure how it went.

There was a panel (man & woman) of two and it transpired in the interview that they were looking for someone totally experienced in windows server 2003 although I had mentioned in my covering letter that I use it every day but not fully in depth they still wanted to interview me.

The man asked me if I had done any windows server installation which I told him I hadn't but was willing to learn. He also queried why I would do N+ after my A+ instead of going for an MCP to which I replied its the most logical choice as I think I need more experience before attempting the MCP but if you employ me and require me to do so I will.

There was no mention of wages.

The guy asked me if I would be willing to start straight away instead of giving notice and I said it would be unprofessional of me to break my current employment contract.

So I am not sure I will get it, but I am not sure I want it either, I will have to see what decision they give me.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Regardless of how it went it was valuable interview experience. If you don't get this one at least you are better prepared for the next. 8)

3. Weemez

Weemez Kilobyte Poster

As Simon mentions, good experience. Sounds like you handled it well. Well done mate.

Certifications: HNC Computing A+ N+ ICND1
    WIP: ICND2
  4. greenbrucelee

Cheers Simon & Kev :D

5. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

From what you have written GBL I would agree with SGUK and Weemez. You did very well to answer those questions and put them in the picture about employee loyalty. :rocks :thumbleft

I think you have to go with your gut feeling here and say maybe this wasn't the one I want!?? 8)

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  6. greenbrucelee

Thanks mate :D

I am just in two minds though, have I blown my chances at my first proper IT job or have I am I better off not having it?

7. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

It sounds to me like you did very well in the interview. I would not worry about it as there is always another opportunity, If I may ask is the company family ran, small to medium size etc.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  8. greenbrucelee

Its a small family ran business but they handle and manage the systems for some large local and national businesses sort fo an IT department for companies without an on site IT dept.

9. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Hi GBL

From the sounds of things, you answered very well to some subtle tricky questions.

I agree as said above, you answered rightly with regards to employee loyalty - if they're a tightly run family business, they don't want to hire someone that could potentially screw them over one day.

Given the responsibility of the role, they may want to do 2nd interviews too - I should imagine wages would be discussed in that, if they want to invite you back.

The fact that they wanted to interview you shows that you have qualities that they wanted. So don't be so disheartened. Grab yourself a well deserved pint, and wait for the phone to ring :biggrin

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  10. greenbrucelee

Cheers.

I have a few pints coming, my mums coming round so I got her do a beer run for me as she's stopping off at Morissons before she comes round so I can have few :morebeer :D

11. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I believed you answered with good answers. Keep us updated with what happens next :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  12. greenbrucelee

Will do Ken :)

Cheers 8)

13. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

as the others said - some dodgy questions handled well - even if they aren't impressed, I would be if I were you. Some deserving company somewhere will snap you up no worries.

Enjoy the beers :beers2

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  14. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

GBL,

I also like they way you conducted your self. I believe aside from just knowing a lot of technical stuff plus exprerience, you have to have good work ethics and I believe you demonstrated that by being honest with them.

If its meant to be you'll get the job, if not then something better will come along. Just keep on trying.

Good Job!! :thumbleft mate

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  15. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Sounds like you answered well! :) Nothing to be ashamed of! :biggrin

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  16. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Hey bud - looks a good interview to me too.

The question about notice period is always a very hard one to gauge. Personally I always use the following cop-out:

"I wouldn't want to let my current employer down - they'll need time to replace me, so would rather work my notice period. If, however, you really want me to start earlier, I will talk to them and see what they say - I have some Annual Leave left and they may be willing to let me take that as part of my notice period".

I find that way you have let them know that you are keen to take the job, but also that you are conscientious enough to realise that just walking out on an employer can leave them in the s*** and that you would rather not do it unless there's no choice.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  17. greenbrucelee

yeah cool, I just said I didn't think it would be professional

18. Bambino1506

Bambino1506 Megabyte Poster

Like that Zeb, nice one.

GBL sounds like you did well, let us know how you do.

Certifications: MCP,MCDST,MCSA
    WIP: CCA
  19. greenbrucelee

Cheers people :D

20. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Tsk, the correct answer to this would have been to text your boss after the question and quit there and then. :)

Seriously, as the others mentioned I think you gave good answers. It's always better to give honest answers about your experience rather than BS your way through. BS can work on occation, but you have little chance of getting the job if they realise it ...

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada