GUYS PLEASE HELP ME OUT!

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by venkat praneeth, Dec 28, 2007.

1. venkat praneeth

venkat praneeth New Member

Hii everyon my name is venkat praneeth and i am doing masters in networking in northumbria university in newcastle.I dont have any work experience and i am planning to do ccna course this summer.My question is, is it too difficult for me to get a job in my related field since i have no work experience.I saw some posts in the community where few quoted that having ccna certification is good but not one enough to get into a job.I am not worried about the pay that comes to me because at the moment i just wanted to gain experience.Can anyone please tell me are there any chances for me to get a job.if any where shld i apply.I know it may be too early for me to ask this question since i have just began my masters but i am little bit tensed regarding my job.

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

First of all Welcome to CF

Second you should not do CCNA until you have a good amount of experience in a real job using cisco equipment.

If you have a search on CF you will see peoples posts who have said I have my CCNA or MCSE but no experience but can't get a job. This is because certs like CCNA and MCSE are not valued by employers if the potential employee does not have experience.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

also please stop typing in text speak because people do not respond to it very well on here, remember some people on here could end up being your employer so try to keep it professional.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Sorry, I couldn't make head nor tail of what you typed. :blink

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Greetings and welcome to CertForums. Let me get this straight. You are in a master's program to earn your MA in Networking and you have no experience in the IT field, right? What's your undergraduate degree in? If it is in a related field, I'd suggest looking for entry-level work now and start building up some experience. Pursuing a master's degree in Networking and going after a CCNA won't really help at all in getting any sort of network or systems admin job (assuming that's your goal) if you have no experience at all. You are going to have to start at the bottom and work your way up and doing that while you are in school is probably your best bet.

I have to agree that using text speak on a discussion forum is not appropriate. Just type as if you were typing an email or a letter, spelling all of the words out and using complete sentences and punctuation. That will make it a lot easier for the rest of us to understand what you are trying to say. Also, you don't have to capitalize the titles of your threads. Cheers.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I wholeheartedly agree with the previous posts' advice:
    - the CCNA won't do you any good with no experience
    - the Masters won't get you a networking job - you'll still have to start out at the bottom
    - get an entry-level job NOW
    - kill the txtspk... there could be a potential employer on these forums who is looking for professional folks for a professional job.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Welcome to CF!

I agree with what's been already said above so I am not going to repeat it.

Good luck with your studies.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  8. venkat praneeth

venkat praneeth New Member

Thanks for your advice guys.I am sorry about the text that i typed in. I am new to united kingdom,so can anyone please suggest me where can i find such entry level jobs which gives me some experience.As i said earlier i am not worried about the pay that the employer offers me because right now i just wanted some experience.Regarding my experience on cisco equipment i do have some experience working on cisco equipment since my masters program covers modules which includes configuration of routers,switche multilayerswitchs.etc.I hope you guys help me out.cheerz

9. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

It's not as black and white as stated on this thread. I had a friend who got a masters in networking and his first job in the field was ~30k with benefits. He's still there and doing very well.

I do feel that a masters in networking isn't really the same as a certificate like N+ or ccna so I think it's wrong to tar them all with the same brush. If you go to uni and get a masters then, innevitably, have to start out in first line, there doesn't seem a great deal of benefit spending all the time and money on the course. If you imagine somebody without any qualifications lands their first 1st line job and another starts a masters at uni, the person getting the job can then study certs and move up the ranks with experience from time spent in the field while the lowly masters holder comes in way beneath? That isn't right and degrees are still valued in IT.

Just my opinion and I know that this CAN be the case but I don't really think it's THAT common.

Certifications: ITIL v3 Foundation, CompTIA Network+
  10. BosonMichael

Unfortunately, having experience in a pristine lab environment where everything largely works is altogether different from having real-world experience in a real-world environment, with real-world devices, with real-world data on it produced by real-world users, and a real-world boss that's gonna remove you from your real-life job if you don't troubleshoot the problem because they're losing real-life money every minute that their network is down.

I'm not in the UK, so I can't really point you towards the jobs... but they're certainly out there. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  11. BosonMichael

That's quite the exception, and not at all the norm.

Aha, you've hit on it. ;) If you plan to get into IT, and not IT management (where you know little about IT but a lot about management), then a Masters in IT isn't going to do you much good, I promise you. You can't, can't, CAN'T start out in the middle without real-world experience! You just can't! :D

Yep, that's about accurate! :)

Degrees are valued in IT... just not more than experience is.

Sorry, mate... that's the way it's worked since I've been in IT. <shrug> Not my rules, man... it's the opinions of everyone else in the industry. If it were different... then I'd say it was different.

12. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I take it this job was based in London! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs