Guildford

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Asterix, Jul 8, 2009.

1. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

Hi there, Im a new member so hello to everyone on the forum! :P
    I have completed a Networking BSC, A+, MCP and MCDST.
    Next i aim to do the MSCA and through to the MCSE, Although I only have a years professional experience in 1st/2nd line support. I have purchased a Server and looking for someone/People in a similar position who would be interested in group study/Support and practical setup of server. If anyone is interested please contact me further!

2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I would encourage you to follow Microsoft's recommendation of acquiring 6 months of actual, real-world server administration experience before pursuing the MCSA. Do you currently administer servers in your position? If not, perhaps it's time to make a shift to a position where you can.

Welcome to the forums!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Maybe also study some general server things with the Server+...

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

The Problem seems to be getting the 6 months experience, as most jobs require a cert and/or experience. I also have the opportunity of getting promoted at my currently workplace but need some cert that will make me stand out from the others at my level. Perhaps the Server+ hmmmmmm sound like a good starting place to get some general knowledge of the topic.

5. BosonMichael

That's a common misconception. To get a job doing nothing but server administration, yes, you DO often need the certifications... but you *don't* have to have a certification to start helping out with server administration in most companies. And THAT is where you start getting your experience.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  6. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

Maybe so but i already do all the overtime avaliable (10-20 hours a week) and get on really well with the server guy's. Due to the nature of the work i am VERY resticted and dont seem to be able to 'help out' with anything due to restictions (not even allowed in server rooms). From your posts i realise that i may be taking things a bit quick and therefore now planning on upgrading MCDST to MCITP: Enterprise Admin (1 exam) as it looks good on CV then doing Net+, Server+, Security+ and gaining a bit more experience installing and configuring Server2003 on my home setup.

7. BosonMichael

If they won't allow you to help administer the servers, perhaps it's time for a lateral switch to an equivalent position... but one in which you CAN learn from and assist the server admins. Getting that MCITP: Enterprise Admin cert can certainly increase your marketability to other employers.

8. Evilwheato

Evilwheato Kilobyte Poster

I presume you're taking the 70-621? I think that's a good way to go, I'm doing the same thing myself :) I'll then use that to contribute to the MCSA after I've gotten more experience.

9. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

Yes i have exam for 70-621 booked for Friday, Although we have no Vista machines @ work the MCITP sounds very appealing rather than doing the 70-270 (and getting no cert title), I am hoping to get MCSA before xmas and then CCNA early next year and move from my current 1st/2nd line position into more server admin/Network support, i have moved between 3 companies in the last year and although this has seen my pay increase £10K i think i need to stay in this role for a year to prove i am serious and this will give me chance to get the necessary experience/certifications. Evilwheato your certs look very similar to mine, u stalking me :twisted: