Guidance required for stepping into IT and further move to Security or Ethical hackin

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Mayur.3.92, Jul 5, 2013.

1. Mayur.3.92

Mayur.3.92 New Member

Hello All,

First of all i am Really sorry if iam posting in wrong thread(if so i request moderator to move to appropriate thread or users tell me where to move)

I request you to help me with a proper advice or guidance which i lack :(

I am from Hyderabad,India.i have completed my graduation (B.Com) a year ago and have taken up the profession of Chartered accountant but somewhere my interest lied in computers & technology and now dropped it(wasted my Entire year :()

I Am very much interested in courses like CEH and want to make a career as ethical Hacker but i have no one to give proper advice moreover there aren't many people in india(at least around me) who know much about this course

My basic question is what do i need to Make a career in CEH,do i need to learn few other things before i take up this course like MCITP,CCNA etc?
    My homes financial condition is not so good and i need to support my family as soon as i can(mostly within a 8 to 12 months).....
    I have even looked at CEH certification from EC council but my concern is if i complete the course will i get a job based on CEH (the reason why i'm asking or thinking in such a way is i need to support my family as quickly i an,after getting a job i will take up all other courses required to improve my skills & Knowledge to get further CEH).

i would be great if you can suggest me courses which need to be done before CEH and which can also get me jobs right after certification along with costing and duration so that i can settle as soon as i can and take care of my Parents

I hope i have made myself clear and thanks a lot in advance (feel free to PM me).

EDIT: people here are saying me that why iam shifting towards IT as it is saturating or not in so good position even this is worrying me

Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
  2. Beerbaron

Beerbaron Megabyte Poster

No one will consider you for an ethical hacking career with no previous IT experience or certifications. Normally this would include some form of networking and security. As mentioned the EC-Council recommends you have at least an MCITP or CCNA. That said you are likely to need several years experience in IT and as so this is not an entry level position. I would make ethical hacking your career target but getting a job in IT is ultimately your first step.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), MSc, ITIL v3F, MCP, MCDST, MCITP: edst7, MCTS, MCSA: Server 2003, MCSA: Windows 7, N+, NVQ IT lvl 3, MCSA Windows 7, VCP5, CCENT, CEH
    WIP: CISSP
  3. Mayur.3.92

Mayur.3.92 New Member

What would i do now then shall i take MCITP & CCNA?
    Have seen A+ practice questions and i almost know 50% of them but cannot afford it and this is the reason i'm asking for MCITP or CCNA or BOTH then will move on to CEH

4. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

If you only know 50% of A+, then you need to start there, you will probably struggle badly with MCITP and/or CCNA if your only 50% at A+ level.

You can self study the A+ and N+ fairly easily, so you could continue working in accounting in the mean time and start trying to save a little money ready for exam costs etc.

Just get hold of a copy of the relevant books and start studying at home, very little cost and will give you a very good solid foundation before moving on to the more technical exams.

Certifications: ECDL, Does that Count!?!
  5. Mayur.3.92

Mayur.3.92 New Member

I left accounting

BTW thanx any more advie is appreiated and will i get any job presently in IT or after getting A+ & N+?
    as i said iam planning for CEH...now my thought is if i get a job after A+ & N+ ill pursue MCITP + CCNA and after some time CEH

Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
  6. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

You do realise that the MCITP\MCSE\CCNA are aimed at people with 12 - 18 months experience on those technologies?

If you only currently know 50% of the A+ how are you expected to know about hacking (it's not just Windows btw as you're expected to know *nix as well).

I would ask why you want to be an ethical hacker, what makes you think you have it and can do it?

Security is a niche market that expects you to be at the top of your field, to have a decent understanding of various technologies, know and understand about such things as worms, virii, sql injection attacks, vulnerability scanning, how to disassemble an attack payload, back track the attack and how you would isolate etc? Certainly not things someone new to IT will know and be able to do.

Think long and hard before paying out on training to decide if this is actually what you want to do or is this just the latest buzzword around the water cooler and you think it sounds cool?

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  7. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

As previously stated, you should focus on getting into IT first. You may find that security bores you to tears. Hacking is nothing like the movies, there are no big flashy graphics, and you can wind yourself with a prison sentence if you don't fully understand what you are doing. I would advise you look into material for CompTIA's Security+ certification. This covers a wide variety of security subjects, not in great depth, but will give you an idea of whats out there. It will not teach you "hacking", but will be a good place to see if you truely find security interesting.

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  8. Mayur.3.92

Mayur.3.92 New Member

ok maybe i'm a bit fascinated by Hacking kind of stuff but i really like to know about technology how computers work etc etc .hacking is just kind of dream but the position i'm in now i need a job after few certification courses to take care of my parents,they cannot afford much money on me now nor i don't want to moreover there are plans of my marriage too(within a year or so) thats my main issue.
    If being in security is going to take a lot time then ok i'll wait but till then i need to find a good job for which i need help from you experts.....
    i'm not saying that immediately i need to get in ethical hacking stuff if its gonna take time i'll wait but i don't want to disappoint my parents i'm ready to sacrifice my dream for them but i need a good advice to stay in computer industry and support my parents first later on after my marriage i'll parallelly go for ethical hacking by then i will have experience too hope i'm clear in what i'm saying :(

Last edited: Jul 6, 2013
  9. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Judging by the flag on your profile, I assume that you're in India...

Looking at IT job vacancies over there, I would also say that generally you need a degree (which you already have) and a driving licence (you don't mention if you have that already).

If you're going for a support type role to begin with, apart from the normal Microsoft and Comptia certs, quite a few jobs have been listing ITIL v3 foundation.

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  10. Mayur.3.92

Mayur.3.92 New Member

What is it can u tel please?n what about job prospects after this....

Last edited: Jul 6, 2013