Guidance Please?

Discussion in 'MCAD / MCSD / MCPD' started by wannabe, May 9, 2009.

1. wannabe

wannabe New Member

Hi All,

I have:
    - complete reading C# 2008 for dummies
    - I have completed reading and working through the Headfirst C# book
    - Written some trivial/frivolous code
    - Written some C# code to automate CAD processes
    - Currently at page 510 out of the 1300 in pro c# 2008 and the .net framework
    - Completed 11 tasks on the developer interface

I've ascertained that I have an enthusiasm for coding and definitely want a job in the field. Dedication of my spare time to learn coding has been a pleasure, as well.

Where I am now is at the point of attempting to switch careers from CAD to coding. I don't know where to get entry-level jobs - what is expected from these position, whether I need to learn more, take an exam (which exam? how can I prepare etc).

So, I would be delighted if any of you guys can help me put together a plan of action.

Thanks.

2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

There are links on the forums for jobsites, jobserve is the main one. Apply for Junior Developer / Developer positions that you think are suitable.

Articulate as you have just done your efforts and aspirations on a CV / covering letter and you should be fine.

So I'd get a Junior Developer job then continue to train yourself and then possibly certify.

Continue what you are doing, finish the pro C# book and start writing non-trivial code !

I wouldn't think you are ready for an exam just yet, sounds like MCTS Windows Developer would be most relevant, but really its for people that have years of experience coding. So you'd have to finish the Pro C# book and write a lot more code first.

There is a lot of e-learning stuff available from MS at the moment on their training site. Maybe try working through as many of these as possible.
    Some of them need to be purchased but there are a number of offers on at the moment, some offers come when you purchase a MS training kit book and others are available when you sign up for second shot.
    The second shot one is particulary good as it gives a whole training collection for $35 instead of $400, so is worthwhile even if you don't use the second shot.

If you are a student consider looking at the Dreamspark stuff.

When you have more experience you can look at exam specific MS training kits, CBT's, courses etc and work towards the 70-536 exam. Without professional experience and coding 5 days a week achieving a pass will be pretty tough.

I had the choice to do Technical drawing/Design or Computing after my A-levels, overall pretty glad I chose computing but always kept a passing interest in 3D graphics etc.

Best of luck ! :D

3. wannabe

wannabe New Member

Well, being a programmer may synergise with my CAD experience and offer some very interesting opportunities further down the line. For now I want to code primarily.

Anyway, cheers for the help. I'll use the CV tips and job search engines and give it my best shot.

Cheers.

4. wannabe

wannabe New Member

Can't even get an interview at all.

I'm not sure what I need to do to make myself more desirable (contextually).

Any ideas?

5. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Have you made it clear you can code in C# on your CV ? Are you prepared to relocate anywhere ? How many jobs have you applied for ?

(Also ignore my previous point about MS elearning, I tried it for my last exam and was not impressed, I'd stick to the books.)

6. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Between the two posts, the time frame has only been 2 weeks. Not being sarcastic, but you're going to have to give it more time. I had my C&G's in programming, as well half way thru my NVQ2 in Software Creation and it took me 6 months to get my first programming interview. And that was without the recession.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security