Group types

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by philbenson, Jun 12, 2006.

1. philbenson

philbenson Byte Poster

In Server 2003 there are security groups and distribution groups. The former is designed to assign security descriptors to user, computer and other group objects, the latter is designed for setting up email distribution lists.

Given that security groups can also be used for email distribution lists, can someone possibly tell me what the point is of having distribution groups. I assume it must have something to do with a non-domain environment or similar.

Certifications: MCP, MCP+I, MCSE, MCSA, MCTS
    WIP: CCNA(?)
  2. _omni_

_omni_ Megabyte Poster

The point is if you want to i.e. have a mail-enabled group without assigning it permissions.
    For example if you want to have members of different security groups who have different levels of permissions be part of the same mail enabled group, you might not want to create a security group as that will interfere with their original permissions.
    (i.e. if you want both IT admins and regular users to be part of the same mail-enabled group.)

Certifications: MCSE 2003, MCSA:M