Group Policy Software Deployment q!

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by Jellyman_4eva, Mar 30, 2007.

1. Jellyman_4eva

Jellyman_4eva Byte Poster

Hi all,

I was just wondering if anyone had cryptic knowledge about this process.. in particular how does the server know if the client has the program installed already..

I have a site where they have a Group Policy software deployment for Service Pack 2 of XP which is a good thing as they have a lot of machines which have been offsite for ages...

However they are now expanding rapidly and as such are building PC's with XP SP2 slipstreamed. They configure the apps and then take it to the customer, join it to the domain then leave...

The customer thinking after a reboot he can do some work with his nice new machine, is greatly miffed when it sits saying Installing Service Pack 2 for the next 30-40 mins!!

I am hoping someone knows that it sets a reg key somewhere which I can use!!!

Certifications: MCDST, MCITP-EDST/EDA/EA/SA/ MCSA 2K3/2K8, MCSE+M 2K3/2K8, ISA/TMG, VCP3/4, CCNA, Exchange, SQL, Citrix, A+, N+, L+, Sec+, Ser+, JNCIA-SSL, JNCIS-SSL
    WIP: Lots
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

WMI filters should help, you can assign group policy based on the result.

http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-6345-5316692-2.html

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Jellyman_4eva

Jellyman_4eva Byte Poster

WMI Filtering is a brilliant answer to get around the query, and in all honesty I had not thought about that at all...

But... whilst I will use that, does anyone know the answer to the question as to where the server looks to determine if the client has the software installed?

Certifications: MCDST, MCITP-EDST/EDA/EA/SA/ MCSA 2K3/2K8, MCSE+M 2K3/2K8, ISA/TMG, VCP3/4, CCNA, Exchange, SQL, Citrix, A+, N+, L+, Sec+, Ser+, JNCIA-SSL, JNCIS-SSL
    WIP: Lots
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

What software are you installing from the server? There might be some tech notes on how to do this.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs