Group Policy Question

Discussion in 'Active Directory Exams' started by philbenson, Sep 9, 2005.

1. philbenson

philbenson Byte Poster

Does anyone know if there is a GP setting which will allow me to set certain icons on the desktop of users by default.

It is easy enough to change the location of users 'My Documents' folder to their server based home directory of course by using the Folder Redirection option in GP. However I also want to ensure that the My Documents folder for each user is automatically shown on their desktop.

If you right-click on 'My Computer' or 'My Documents' from the Start Menu, there is an option to 'Show on Desktop'. However this option is turned off by default.

If this isn't possible through GP, I have also thought about creating a template user profile on my server which places these icons on the desktop and then copying this profile to the Default User so that any new user accounts carry this setting.

Certifications: MCP, MCP+I, MCSE, MCSA, MCTS
    WIP: CCNA(?)
  2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

have you tried
    User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Desktop\
    and setting 'Remove My documents icon to 'disabled'

dont know if it will work, as you may still need to manually put it there in the first place

which you could do globally with a script at logon i suppose
    the same with the other icons you talk about

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. philbenson

philbenson Byte Poster

Certainly sounds promising doesn't it.. Will let you know when I get home later.

Mank thanks

Certifications: MCP, MCP+I, MCSE, MCSA, MCTS
    WIP: CCNA(?)