Group Policy Management tool snap-in

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by steve_f, Sep 2, 2008.

1. steve_f

steve_f Byte Poster

Hi

I have been using this tool to make changes to group policy at work since my first day here. Would this method be available to me in a simulator in the exam, or should I get some practice at doing it the long way around, ie right click on groups in AD etc?

Hope this makes sense

This is the tool I am talking about:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...24-8cbd-4b35-9272-dd3cbfc81887&displaylang=en

Thanks
    Steve

Certifications: MCDST, MCSA 2003+Messaging, MCITP:SA, MCSA 2008, ITIL v3 Foundation, Comptia Server+ 2009, CCA Xenapp 6.5, VCP5-DV
    WIP: CCENT, CCNA, CCSA
  2. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

I have no previous experience with simulators and therefore wouldn't be able to accurately answer your question.

However - surely (as it's an optional download) it would be better to learn the method the long way around regardless. You're may not always have access to it.

My two cents...

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  3. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

without going into detail gpmc is a recognised tool now superceeding the old way of doing things, much like the different wsus version it is better to understand what group policies do than worry about the tool you do it with. best bet is to be reasonably familier with both as in the real world you may have to do it either way!

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  4. Crito

Crito Banned

GPMC disables the regular group policy tab. So if it's installed YOU CAN'T do it the "old way", which happens to also be the ONLY WAY they show you in the (latest, revised, second edition) MS training kits.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: none
  5. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

maybe so but for experience its worth trying out the gpmc in the same way its worth know that wsus 2 is managed by a webpage and wsus isnt. For 5 minutes fiddling with a tool is it worth not giving it a go. Nobody knows whats included in exams other than what ms publish on their websites as objectives so they might have put questions about wsus 3 or the gpmc into their pool last week who knows!

As i said before its better to know more about the the policies themselves but be familier with both methods of implimenting them.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing