GROUP POLICY ISSUE

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by fatp, Dec 11, 2008.

1. fatp

fatp Byte Poster

Hi Guys,

I am currently using AD to deploy Group Policies. I have a created a GPO to deploy JAVA 6 update 10 msi and linked it to an OU under computer configuration. Yesterday, I decided to push JAVA 6 update 11 out but then removed JAVA 6 update 10 and MISTAKENLY select the option to allow users to continue to use the software but prevent new installations. Now, JAVA 6 update 11 does not install.

How do I get around this... to allow Java 6 update 11 to install.

Cheers,

:oops:

2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Have you tried editing the policy for the GPO?

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi Fatp,
    You could manually remove the registry keys associated with the GP install. I think they are stored in the locations below:-

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Installer\Products\
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Group Policy\AppMgmt\

This should then allow the new java to be pushed to the pc's.

I'd backup the registry first and do this on a test machine.

HTH

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  4. fatp

fatp Byte Poster

Did you read my question properly mate? .... What do you mean by editing the policy? Can you be more specific please....

5. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

I meant the policy that's applied to the current GPO which is not updating the Java software update. You can edit the policy so that it encompasses the changes you're trying to achieve. Best wishes either way.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
  6. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

Open the GPO console for the software deployment, in the computer configuration open software settings, then click the software installation node.
    In the details pane, right-click the package for which you want to set properties(which in this case is theJava 6 update 11 ), and then click properties.

click the deployment tab. in the deployment tab of the Properties dialog box for the package, select
    "assigned" to allow users in the selected site, domain, or OU to receive this application the next time they log on (for assignment to users) or when the computer restarts (for assignment to computers). this sholud help....

Certifications: MCITP:SA,MCTS(x5),MCSE2K3;MCSA2K3:M;MCP
    WIP: EDA7,70-652,Project+,MSP(70-632)
  7. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

WHY PUT OFF TILL TOMORROW WHAT YOU CAN ALWAYS DO TODAY!

“Great spirits have always encountered violent oppostion from mediocre minds.”
    – – Albert Einstein(1879-1955)

Truth your signature speaks:)

8. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

I believe we all are still in the learning process.... Am with you mate:D cheers

9. Alex Wright

Alex Wright Megabyte Poster

I couldn't agree more - we are indeed all in a learning process. So why exactly do you use braindumps which result in some of our most valuable members (Zeb) feeling they have to leave the forum as a matter of principle? :rolleyes:

Certifications: 70-680 Configuring Windows 7
    WIP: 70-642
  10. fatp

fatp Byte Poster

I dont think you guys understand what I am saying:

Bear in mind, that I have already selected the option to allow users to continue use the software but prevent new install when I removed Java 6 update 10 from the GPO. So therefore, Does this not mean that any new 'Java install' will not be installed?

cheers again.

11. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

NOTE: If modifications are not properly configured, you will have to uninstall the package or upgrade the package with a correctly configured version.

carry out the prievously stated process..

12. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Looks like you will have to recreate the group policy to install the previous version of Java (ie the same settings as when you used group policy to install), then change it to remove the software, update the ploicy on the client machines, then use the new gp to install the update.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  13. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Can you not just remove the GPO you are currently using and then create a new GPO with just the Java 6 update 11 .msi file?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs