Group Membership

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Mr.Cheeks, Mar 24, 2006.

1. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Hi All,

"TheCheekMaster is not a member of any public groups". what is one of those???

2. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Group membership is a feature of vbulletin, when you become a premium member you automatically get promoted to a different group that has different setting to the registered members group and if you become a mod or sen mod you the same applies.

vbulletin can also have public groups that can change your group membership and these groups have group leaders that can accept of reject requests from members to be a member of that public group.

One example would be a hidden forum that only members of x group can, see x group is a public group. you would be able to request to join x group and if accepted you would then be able to see the hidden forum. Theres a little more to it than that as this brings into play secondary usergroups and promotions but in a nutshell thats the sort of thing that can be done.

you can read more about it here: http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/main/usergroups

HTH :) Si

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  3. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

That's interesting because I'm not a member of any public groups either but I am a premium member. Is that right?

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  4. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

they saw ya comin' and ran for the hills mate :biggrin

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: MCITP
  5. SimonV
    Honorary Member

The premium membership group is not a public usergroup and users can only become members by promotion and that promotion is done based on the subscription feature or by manual promotion. In public usergroup users can be promoted by the usergroup leader or automatically without a leader but the group is open to the public, I know the premium membership, mod and sen mod are public in that you can see the user but the promotion is not public.

I just read that back and it doesn’t really make sense.... :rolleyes:

Basically Vbulletin members have to be in a usergroup, usergroups are the crutch of the software, mostly usergroup membership is done manually such as moderator or sen mod or admin. There is a system for subscriptions and based on those subscriptions users can automatically be promoted to usergroup, that’s how premium members move usergroups.

Public usergroups are a way of moving users to usergroups but they can apply to become a member in there User CP.

Theres also secondary usergroups and promotions in that users can have two usergroups and they can also be promoted based on conditions such as membership length, postcount and alike.

Thats enough anyway, I'm off out for a few well earnt jars :alc :beers2

6. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

My brains leaked out my head reading that post Si. :) Wish I hadn't asked :D .

Cheers.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  7. SimonV
    Honorary Member

Funny......same here..... I think that has more to do with the beer though.... :rolleyes: