Greetings!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by starfury6, Jul 27, 2005.

1. starfury6

starfury6 Nibble Poster

Morning guys n gals,

As you can see I'm new here, I found the site using Google of course.

Some background on myself, I am currently working as an Automotive CAD Designer for Visteon UK Ltd designing car interiors for Ford, Nissan, Honda, Jaguar and plenty of others. From school I did a 4 year Ford apprenticeship with ONC and HNC then on to a 4 year day release degree in Mechanical Engineering whilst working for Ford. About 5 years ago the department I was working for was split into a new standalone company called Visteon. I did a couple of years Application support on HP-UX for I-DEAS Master System, the main CAD system here. I was hoping to get into the Systems department here but the company decided to outsource to IBM and there inst a route in any longer. I have been building my own machines for sometime and run a Debian Linux server at home with 2 WinXP machines connected to it. i also have an old SPARC 20 I bought myself for messing around with.

Which brings me to now. I dont have the confidence quite yet to put forward my abilities for a new role in Support which is where my talents lie and I would like to augment what I know with some sort of tangiable qualification. I must admit it's all a bit daunting since I have 14 years of service now (my Ford service is preserved) with the same company and 14 years of the pension too, plus a family to support too, but I am twiddling my thumbs most of the time here and spend most of my days reading techie forums and solving computer problems for my colleagues.

I am considering the CompTIA Linux+ certification initially.

What do you think? I don't even know what the possibilities are. Oh I'm 31 in September to give you an idea of my age.

Hope I haven't rambled too much!

Certifications: RHCT4, RHCT5
    WIP: SCSA
  2. KeithNN

KeithNN Byte Poster

Can't help you with the Linux+ question but a big hello and welcome aboard!

Certifications: MCSA/MCSE, MCDST, MOS Mstr, Sec+,Net+,A+
    WIP: 70-284
  3. Tyler D

Tyler D Gigabyte Poster

Greetings Starfury6 :biggrin ,Am sure some of the guys will be along soon to offer their advice on the Linux+ cert.
    Best of luck.

Certifications: A+,70-270
    WIP: 70-290
  4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi and welcome to CF. :D

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  5. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hi Starfury6, andwelcome to CF.

I'm not sure if too many of our Members actually have the Linux+ (some, maybe..), but I'm sure you'll get a few opinions all the same. My guess is that as a CompTIA qual, it's as good as any of them to get into where you want to be, but maybe for a support role, you might want to consider the "safer" MS route ?

Only my opinion, and sorry if I've misread you here :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  6. starfury6

starfury6 Nibble Poster

I have 70-270 for Dummies in front of me. I am considering it :)

Thanks for the welcome guys.

7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Greetings, Starfury6. Welcome to CertForums. The direction you take in your studies depends on your goals. We have a number of Linux+ questions in that forum if you want to review them. I periodically post additional ones so you can try your hand at them.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  8. starfury6

starfury6 Nibble Poster

Hi tripwire45, I saw your questions, I've been going through them when I've had time today, I had about 60% of the correct. Need to brush up on my regular expressions :)

A senior sys admin role would be a goal i can see in the future so I guess I'm looking for something to help me towards that end. I guess from my current career I am going to have to take a pay hit and I'd like the best chance at a good role at the best level I can manage. If the certs will help me through the door, that's what I need.

I saw another reply you gave someone (think it was you) who was enquiring about Linux+ and you said that the RedHat certs are a lot higher level. Are they that much further up the tree?

9. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

The Linux+ cert is more or less entry level, vendor neutral. LPI is also vendor neutral but they offer several different certs and are considered higher level. Both Red Hat and Novell offer their own certs on their own Linux implementation. Here are some resources:

http://www.lpi.org/

https://www.redhat.com/training/certification/

http://www.novell.com/training/certinfo/cle/

You'll need to work your way up to being a sys admin and it wouldn't hurt to be familiar with several different platforms including Windows and Linux. You have to start somewhere so the 70-270 would be good. Get your MCP and get your foot in the door. I don't think it would be inconsistent to learn Windows and Linux, espeically since Linux is showing some pretty constant growth. JMHO.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  10. starfury6

starfury6 Nibble Poster

Thanks trip, I'll have a read of the links you've provided me with.

11. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi and welcome to the forum. :D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  12. starfury6

starfury6 Nibble Poster

Thanks Nugget.

I have a quick question. I can't seem to find out about where to sit them and exactly how much the exams cost, specifically LPIC (Linux systems administration) Junior Level Administration (LPIC-1) and the 70-270 Windows XP MCP exam. i have been searching for places near me that host the exams and their pricing but all I seem to be able to find is people who do them only as the end of a course.

Can any of you help?

Thanks.

13. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Welcome to the forum :biggrin

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  14. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

you will most likely end up at a prometric or a vue associated test center. you can use the following links to find nearby test centers: http://www.prometric.com/Sites/Locate/ and http://www.vue.com/vtclocator/

15. starfury6

starfury6 Nibble Poster

Thanks AJ, and thanks d-Faktor for thelinks, I'll check them out.