Greetings

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by GrittyChimp, Sep 13, 2011.

1. GrittyChimp

GrittyChimp New Member

Hi, just found this place. I'm currently considering a change of career to become a web designer but I'm starting from scratch. I've been quoted silly money to do a CIW course (and I've posted in the CIW forum about that) and I'm looking for some good advice on what to learn in order to free me from call centre Hell and get me a job I'd enjoy doing.

Cheers!

2. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  3. Beerbaron

Beerbaron Megabyte Poster

Welcome to CF.

What certs do you currently have?

Certifications: BSc (Hons), MSc, ITIL v3F, MCP, MCDST, MCITP: edst7, MCTS, MCSA: Server 2003, MCSA: Windows 7, N+, NVQ IT lvl 3, MCSA Windows 7, VCP5, CCENT, CEH
    WIP: CISSP
  4. GrittyChimp

GrittyChimp New Member

None! Literally first steps into the unknown. I know a couple of full time web developers who love their jobs though and that's what inspired me. I understand it's a hard slog to get the required skills so any advice on starting on this career path would be most appreciated. I'm looking at 6 months to a year of hard study (preferably at home) and any suggestions on where to start in order to secure a decent entry level job would be great.

5. ciaran25

ciaran25 Bit Poster

hi and welcome

WIP: A+
  6. Kopite_21

Kopite_21 Gigabyte Poster

Welcome to CF!

Certifications: National Diploma IT Advanced ECDL
    WIP: A+
  7. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

Welcome to CF.

Good luck with the web career, if you've got a passion and skill in design then you could easily get a job.

Practice as much as possible and get a portfolio showing your skills - Keep an eye on your other topic as there seems to be quite a good input.

Certifications: BSc Computer Game Technology, A+
    WIP: MOS 2010
  8. GrittyChimp

GrittyChimp New Member

Thanks for the encouragement and advice folks.