Greetings

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Stemac, Nov 13, 2007.

1. Stemac

Stemac New Member

Well to keep the story short and sweet.

I am a long distance HGV Driver and need to change environments..roads too congested and my frustration levels are fanatical to say the least...whoever gave people licences need to be shot ;)

Ok enough of the illiterate...What I need to know is what field is Best...?

My academic background...I have over 14 years Office Administration..ex Services Chief Clerk
    Have run an Operational as well static office so am aware of basic procedures...alas during my day the PC was something that never existed unless you consider the Collosus...one room of expensive machinery.

I have delivered presentations to classroom environments and feel comfortable in that area. I have artistic flair in design and get the best out of my students by explanation...demonstration ..and practice.

I presently Run my own Forum and have knowledge of website/hosting/etc. (Its a Warez Board) Over 12,000members.

I am familiar with MS Office 2003/07...can use without too many errors.. :)
    Excel...have used but find tedious
    PowerPoint...have used and know my way round it a bit.

So in a nutshell.....What course would be best to facilitate my skills level....?

Any advice accepted with grace...any insults feel the wrath of a disgruntled driver...with spanner ;)

Thanks All

Stemac

Additional info: Can rip...build own PCs....fault finding on other users mistakes ;) Have applied for job which requires MOS Instructors...can fulfill the role but not the qual...so guidance required.

Certifications: 5 GCSEs 2 A lvls.and lifetime Experience
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

What field is best? A field in which you are happy going to work. What field is best for you may not be best for someone else.

If you enjoy ripping apart PCs and solving user problems, get an entry-level tech job... help desk, desktop support, PC repair tech, field service tech, etc. You don't need a course... start applying for entry-level jobs that don't require experience. After getting that job, build up some experience, and use that experience as a stepping stone to an even better job or position.

If you want to get some certifications to give yourself an advantage, start studying for the A+. Save your money; you don't need an expensive training course. Get some books (Meyers A+ All-in-One Exam Guide Sixth Edition and Pyles PC Technician Street Smarts highly recommended) and a spare PC or two, and start learning. If you get the A+ before you've found a job, add it to your CV and keep looking. After the A+, the Network+ and MCDST certifications are worth checking out.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Stemac

Stemac New Member

8) Didnt say enjoyed ripping Pc`s apart and repairing but can do :)

No I think am best suited in people to people environment..Training others.

I use my humour and personality to encourage change .....and learn....more of hands on person than technician. (Hammer works best with unsolvable solutions)

Btw will look into your suggestions with A+

Anything else that would channel my thought processes in training areas....?

Thanks
    Stemac

4. BosonMichael

Technicians ARE hands-on persons... and they deal with users on a daily basis, so you'll certainly be able to use your humor and personality. :)

It'll be quite difficult to break into training until you build some real-world experience. You can't teach it until you've seen it for yourself... and I mean more than just learning the "theoretical" book knowledge... actually seeing the "practical" is absolutely essential to being able to field questions from your students regarding how things work in the "real world". If you haven't seen it... you won't be able to answer it. Your knowledgeable students will rip you apart, and the less knowledgeable students will lose confidence in your wisdom and teaching.

Training is a *great* career field... I've been doing it (through my writing) for the last 6 1/2 years, on and off. You just need to work up to it. So if you're interested in training, start at the bottom... build a good foundation of technical experience... THEN train others about what you have learned. It worked for me. It can work for you as well.

As a desktop support tech, you WILL be given plenty of opportunities to train users with your personality and humor. Users prefer techs who are pleasant and helpful and informative... there are far too many techs out there who are anti-social and abrasive and just want to get the job done, who would be much more at home in a server room, never being allowed to interact with a user. So you'd likely do quite well with that, and probably enjoy it as well!

Many help desk opportunities also provide similar "training opportunities". Have you ever been on a call where the person on the other end of the line was just "doing their job"? But how is it when you speak with someone who is genuinely concerned with solving your problem? You could be that helpful person on the other end... and those situations can involve some aspect of customer training as well. There are training opportunities just about everywhere for those whose minds are attuned to it. It sounds like you could be one of those kind of people. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  5. Stemac

Stemac New Member

Thank you sincerely for the advice....much appreciated.

6. BosonMichael

Glad to be of assistance. When you're ready to take that step into training, know that there are plenty of people here who are authors and instructors who can help you take that first step. :)

7. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009