Greetings one and all!!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by ITJim, Nov 6, 2007.

1. ITJim

ITJim New Member

Hi

Like most newbies here i thought it was time to stop playing around with half empty computer cases and get off my back side and get a proper qualification in the subject. Again like many others I have got increasingly fed up with explaining to people I work with how to use their computers and fixing things when they go wrong.

Having been contacted by advent about a month ago (we talked on the phone about MCSE) and thinking "Hhhhmmmm sounds like the course for me" I stumbled across this little gem of a website. Going throught the posts about training companies I have decided to do the self study thing (save the pennies). Start out with A+, N+ then see where I go from there, eventually working towards MSCE.

Just ordered the A+ and N+ Mike Meyers books so I should be ready to start in a few days.

Any more advice will always be welcome and appreciated.

Certifications: .....
    WIP: A+, N+
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome :)

Do you work in IT?

Don't go for the MCSE unless you have a least a good amount of real world experience in the subject.

You made the right choice to self study :)

Good luck

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. ITJim

ITJim New Member

Heck you guys are fast at replying

Yeah part of my work at the moment is in IT, however I do plan to change jobs and concentrate fully on IT. I hope that this experience should help while I do the A+ and N+ and then as I work my way through the MCSE will be more appropriate.

4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. greenbrucelee

another book I would recommend for the A+ is PC Technician street smarts by James Pyles (tripwire45 on this forum) its sort of a lab book which you can use the examples in it to practice your skills with.

Where about in the lake district are you?

I live in Kirkoswald near penrith/Carlisle.

6. ITJim

ITJim New Member

I live in Bowness-on-windermere, about 3 mins from the lake. However my partner and I are hoping to move to help get better jobs and all. I've ventured up to penrith a few times but not as far as carlisle...

7. greenbrucelee

Yeah the jobs for IT especially in Cumbria as a whole are pretty scarce I may also be moving but not for about 6th months atleast.

8. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF:biggrin and glad you choose the A+ self study route. Good choice.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  9. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome, Jim!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  11. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Greetings and welcome to CertForums. :)

-Trip

Certifications: A+ and Network+