greetings! informational interview

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by THUFIR, Nov 30, 2017.

1. THUFIR

THUFIR New Member

Hi,

I'm persuing A+ and Network+ and need informational interviews for the financial aid portion. Might anyone be willing to take a few minutes? Thanks.

2. Jaron78

Jaron78 Gigabyte Poster Forum Leader

What's financial aid mate?

3. THUFIR

THUFIR New Member

Money -- to get the courses paid for. Just a euphemism :) It's through a local vocational school, the funding requires that I speak or e-mail persons in the industry with a set of questions.

4. Jaron78

Ah I see, sorry.

Fire away, everyone here is pretty knowledgeable.

5. THUFIR

THUFIR New Member

Thanks.

It looks like this:

EMPLOYEE INTERVIEW Occupation being researched:________________

Date of Contact: ______________________ ⃞ In Person ⃞ By phone ⃞ E-mail

Company Name: __________________________________________________________________

Contact’s Name: ____________________________ Contact’s Position: ______________________

Contact’s Phone Number: _____________________ E-mail: ____________________________

1. Why did this type of work interest you?

1. What skills and personal qualities are necessary for this job?

1. What do you like about your job?

1. What don’t you like about your job?

5. a) What training/education/certification do you have?

b) At what school did you attend training?

c) Would you recommend it? If not, which school would you recommend?

6. a) How did you get this position? (By training/certification/qualifications or promotion?)

b) How long have you been in the field?

7. Are there opportunities for advancement in this field? b) What is the career path?

8. How is the technology impacting the nature of your work?

9. What is employment outlook in this field?

10. Who can you recommend me to talk to?

that would be awesome! :)

6. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Seems a bit weird requirement to email random people to get on a course.

Why did this type of work interest you?
    I was fascinated by computers since the age of 10, everything about them and how they work down to the transistor level.

What skills and personal qualities are necessary for this job?
    Dedication, Intelligence, Analytical skills.

What do you like about your job?
    Interesting work, well paid, in the warm and dry.

What training/education/certification do you have?
    Degree and 14+ certifications, +22 years self taught and experience

At what school did you attend training?
    I went to a uni on the south coast.

Would you recommend it? If not, which school would you recommend?
    It worked for me so yes I would recommend it. However the environment now is vastly different, opportunities to self study are immense. You can probably go it alone and avoid the student debt if motivated.

How did you get this position?
    How does anyone get any job, you apply and impress in the interview. Generally this comes down to experience, knowledge, work history and personal skills. Training is only vaguely related.

How long have you been in the field?
    22 years

Are there opportunities for advancement in this field? What is the career path?
    Advancement means getting better at what you do, everyone has this opportunity everyday. There is no career path, I'm a programmer, always been a programmer. Only 'advancement' would be manager or architect, these are however not the same job at all and so I wouldn't call it advancement.

How is the technology impacting the nature of your work?
    Not sure I get the question, I work on a computer everyday with screens, keyboard and a mouse, been doing that for 22 years.
    The software and hardware changes a bit, but then I make software so I can make whatever I want. I've worked on making hardware also.
    There are lot current trends like BigData, Reactive, Functional, Microservices, Cloud, DevOps, SPA, Infrastructure as Code, Open Source.

What is employment outlook in this field?
    Good

Who can you recommend me to talk to?
    Anyone that can help you.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  7. THUFIR

THUFIR New Member

That's fantastic. Yes, the rationale is that they want to see due diligence before shelling out any cash. For me to submit this I would need also name and e-mail...

Please do contact me privately. If you like I can put directly in touch with the college before giving out personal info, of course. Pardon, it's not my requirement, I'm just jumping through the hoops. Again, thanks for the responses.

8. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I don't give personal information out to random people or random colleges.

9. THUFIR

THUFIR New Member

I can appreciate that. Perhaps another individual here would be willing to contact the vocational school. I too am leery about giving out personal info, so I get what you're saying.

10. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Ive seen this very questionaire posted many times on reddit..

11. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Dont say that you will lose half of CF, they are only here for that purpose

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
    Jaron78 likes this.
  12. Jaron78

What?!?!? I was here for the ladies.......

13. THUFIR

THUFIR New Member

It's not a phishing attempt. If it were then I'm sure that would count among the most awkward attempts ever. Please do contact me privately.

14. THUFIR

THUFIR New Member

Yes, I posted the questionarre on reddit. Does that somehow invalidate it? You'll have to define what is meant by "many times" because it sounds like your definition is radically different than mine.

I don't want your name or phone number. It's just a form from the funding agency, they want. The vocational school never sees the funding application so they never see the data. If you want to bypass me entirely then let me know and you can contact the funding agency directly.

I wouldn't expect anyone to ever contact anyone from the form. Only, and this seems quite remote, to ensure that the responses are real. Else applicants would just write their.

Yet again, this is for financial aid. It would be easier for me if the form didn't require name and phone. All I can do is offer to authenticate by putting you in direct touch with the funding agency for the grant.

No, your information won't be put sold or traded. No I won't keep it. Yes, I understand the concern.

******also******

I had one response using e-mail from:

https://snkmail.com/

who will keep your e-mail private. That's fine with me.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017