Great first week at new job! (well, contract) and a gruesome end to my previous job

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by nisseki, Oct 7, 2018.

1. nisseki

nisseki Byte Poster

Hi guys,

I hope you're well.

Just started my new job first week of October and really enjoying it so far!

As you may know I've been on 1st line for about 3.5 years, desperate to get off it for good and finally doing second line. Already I'm getting involved in creating security groups in AD which is usually done by server team in my previous jobs. I also have access to our server room.

The office and facilities are amazing and everyone is so friendly, I don't think I will ever have an angry user haha.

My previous job ended badly but to be honest it was never going to be easy to leave as my old manager was a nice guy but he took my leave very personally and unfortunately knew about my new job via a third party. We had a catch up chat before I left saying that I burnt the bridges.

I was grateful for the opportunity. He allowed me to take on other responsibilities such as desktop support and user admin but there were always conditions such as I was only allowed to do these after 10am for example and I had to cover server desk when it was busy and lunch cover. I wanted to get off service desk completely...

He then started to get very petty with me. He said that I made constant mistakes on user admin (even though nothing was even mentioned to me about these "constant mistakes"). Said I didn't apply for any vacancies within the business (even though I did and was turned down, some positions were only available to perm staff!).

Due to losing (literally, never going to get) a whole week of pay and the issue didn't get resolved by neither the agency or umbrella and the bridges were already burnt, on a Monday morning I thought to myself, **** it.

And I'm so glad I did, that morning was extremely busy even if I was there. My manager wanted to take legal action against me (even though the other contractors who didn't serve their notice got off for free lol).

Well anyway, upwards and onwards. :)

Jaron78, JK2447 and dmarsh like this.
  2. Pizzaboy

Pizzaboy Bit Poster

Glad to hear/read you got out from under there and onto to bigger better things.

Congrats.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), Network+, MCSA:2003, MCTS:Win7,640,642
    WIP: 70-410
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Congrats on the new job mate – sounds like it was time to move on.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Good to hear the new job is working out mate! And a big fat “Meh” there are some bridges worth burning, as sometimes it would be better to stick pins in your eyes than cross the bridge again. I left my old employer on good terms tbh but even then Id rather work back in retail than go back there. I did let them know Id never return and it was the last-time they’d see a bad mofo like me again. Let the bridge burn!

5. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Kilobyte Poster

Congrats mate. Nothing worse than a bad boss. Sounds like you made the right move.

6. nisseki

nisseki Byte Poster

Thank you all for congratulating me and liking my post.

Juelz, I will never go back there anyway haha.

I've heard the service desk is very busy and really s*** now.

Even the new starters are rubbish and I hope they continue hiring crappy replacements after they leave too haha.