Graphic problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by law123, Feb 20, 2005.

1. law123

law123 Byte Poster

I have an old Compaq P.C. which was lying in the loft for 2 years or so a week or so ago I got a KVM switch and started to use it for a lab P.C. It worked fine for the first few days then I started to get problems with I think is the graphics card.
    The P.C. sometimes won’t show up on my monitor the little green light on the monitor just goes amber as if the P.C. is turned off. The fist thing I tried was to check the Graphics card was sated properly then checked all the other cards were ok also checked for loose wires but no problems. I then tried the graphics card in my Daughters P.C. it worked ok. Her P.C. has onboard graphics so I could not try hers in the Compaq P.C. So I took the Graphics card out of my P.C. and put it into the Compaq P.C. it worked fine I then put the graphics card I took out of the Compaq and put it back in it worked fine. Up until now when it is not working again has anyone got any ideas.
    The Compaq Spec is as follows:-
    AMD Athlon 1.1 GHz
    128 MB ram
    32 MB Graphics
    There is more cards and spec but if there is anything else you need to know just ask. Oh the card, board, Ram, and CPU are all original only the drives are different. :cussing

Certifications: None
    WIP: A+
  2. Gaz 45

Gaz 45 Kilobyte Poster

Hmmm. Might be a daft question, but when you tried the card in the other computers they were with different monitors? Can only see it being a graphics, monitor or cable problem.

Certifications: MCP (70-229, 70-228), MBioch
    WIP: MCDBA (70-290)
  3. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Agree with Gaz - you have run some fairly comprehensive tests with the gfx card, but not actually the monitor - have you tried it on your known-good PC ?

Methinks your on the right tracks to learning the fine art of troubleshooting, Law [​IMG]

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  4. syntax_error

syntax_error Bit Poster

might be somthing to do with the AGP settings in the bios I remember my PC wouldn't load with the AGP setting was high.
    just guess tho

Certifications: mcp server2k
    WIP: Network Infrastructure
  5. MrNice

MrNice Kilobyte Poster

what your describing with the power light going amber sounds more like it is the monitors psu, as advised I would switch your iffy monitor onto your new pc and test it for a while, not just power up and off again. If it was a config error I would think it would either work or not, the intermittent nature of the fault points me at monitor hardware fault,
    That's my guess anyway. :blink

6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I had a similar problem with one of my work computers and thought it was the graphics card as well. My boss said to rule out a bad monitor first. I swapped monitors and it worked fine. Could be the monitor itself or the cable.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  7. law123

law123 Byte Poster

As I said I am using a KVM switch so I have both computers connected at the same time. So I think that would tell me monitor is ok as I am running monitor on my so called good P.C. as well as the Compaq. I have ruled out the KVM switch by running it on my good P.C. and my Daughters good P.C. it works fine. I have also tried all P.C.s on my Daughters monitor to rule the possibility of monitor(s). Also Graphics card is running in my P.C. and Daughters P.C as well with no problems. Oh and yes I popped the battery out of motherboard for about 15 minutes to reset BIOS but it was fine when I put it up loft in the first place as I said it is all original hardware. I am starting to think that the problem may be bigger like the motherboard its self what do you guys think? :cussing thats how I feel LOL. Also changed power supplies to monitor and Compaq and tried monitor to Compaq directly just in case it does ot like KVM switch.

8. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

I hate problems like this one. My guess after the monitor would have been the KVM switch. I've had KVM switches fail to acquire keyboards and mice before and it was a real pain in the @zz. Can't say I've had a problem with a KVM switch acquiring the video from one computer to the next but it can happen.

9. law123

law123 Byte Poster

Ah but Trip tried the Compaq directly to the monitor to rule that out and also it did work at first on the KVM!!! :(

10. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

I know. I meant to say that it *would* have been my next step if you hadn't already checked it out. Bad wording on my part. Apologies.

11. law123

law123 Byte Poster

No probs Trip :) It happens to us all. I am still leaning to motherboard what do you think.Going to Mobo heaven :angel
    :bigcry

12. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

If you've got some transient problem with the motherboard, it would be cheaper to buy a new one than to try and diagnose it. The only other thing I'd suggest is to switch PCI slots on the mobo and see if you've got a bad slot. Also, I don't know if you are using ESD precautions when you are inside the box. If not, a static discharge from your finger too small for you to feel would still be enough to fry some critical circuitry and cause a lot of headaches. Just a thought.

13. law123

law123 Byte Poster

:beers2 Yes trip I know what you mean about ESD and I am using a grounding strap. The funny thing is it has started working again I stripped the lot out and rebuilt it all seems well at moment. I am wondering could it have been dust? I did do my best to remove dust before but when it was stripped it down I used a small unused paint brush to remove dust from the more hard to reach places like in the AGP slot and so on. What do you think guys. Please feel free to comment :D :yep

14. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Just a blind guess, but anything that interrupted the contact could have kept it from working. Good bit about the brush. Just be careful none of the hairs from the brush accidently get lodged in a slot. Canned air is good for cleaning out dust (I've seen PCs almost literally clogged with the stuff...you had to take them outside to blow them out).

The other part is that computer repair is still part magic and sometimes things will start working again for no apparent reason. I remember a desktop support job I had once (a three-month temp position). On more than one occasion, I'd get a trouble ticket describing a problem. I'd get to the office of the user and the problem would miraculously fix itself. Go figure. :P

15. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Just your presence is enough Trip.:D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  16. law123

law123 Byte Poster

Thanks Trip for all your help M8. Have a drink on me :morebeer

17. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Thanks. :berrr