Gradual Background Studies?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Luddym, Jul 1, 2007.

1. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

I've been studying for my 291 for about 6 weeks, trying to grab as much spare time as possible and getting a little burnt out. Feel like I'm getting close to being ready, just need to finish off some RRAS and security bits then it's on to WSUS, but I digress.

A few weeks into studying for the 291, for some reason unknown to me, I started reading my MSPress book for the 293 as a kinda break from study (it felt like something new and alot easier to just read instead of worrying about taking it all in) are so far got about a third of the way through. And recently I also started reading the 294 MSpress book...

My question is whether anyone else does this sort of thing with certificates and studying and whether or not it works for you.

Thanks in advance guys and gals.

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  2. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I have certainly always done this. It seems to suit my learning style; it gives me a little break from what I am focusing on, but it's still topical, so it's not detrimental to the studying thing.

For example, when I was studying for the A+ and N+, I'd also read Tanenbaum's computer networks books. I also started reading the Cisco ICND book for fun.

Now I'm doing the novel, I'm also reading Cisco books; and reading a lot of fantasy fiction too. But now, I can call that research :)

If you're comfortable doing it, and don't feel that you're 'losing' anything, then don't question the method. Just carry on doing what feels normal. If you start slipping on practise exams and so forth, then and only then I'd think of addressing my studying method.

Just my 0.02 worth. Good luck!

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  3. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

I do the same - but instead of an IT book, I'm learning about photography with a DSLR - so still learning but isn't based around IT.

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  4. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

Excellent, thanks for the replies guys.

Writing a book eh Arroryn? Great stuff! Is it fantasy fiction?

I do wonder the ammount of IT bods that are into science fiction and fantasy as a genre.... I have to admit that before I started my IT studies Id written a science Fantasy book (So far unpublished, but didn't stop me writing half a sequal and planning two more books after :p ).

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  5. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Do I get to have a read of it?

Mine is fantasy fiction. As for the IT side of things, I was into fiction before I was into IT... so it's the other way round for me. I think it's probably because the two are as far removed from each other as humanly possible, and it's nice to have a release every now and again :)

Mine is fully planned - 4 books worth. I had written most of the first book in poetry form, before my brain started dribbling out of my ears and I restarted it in normal prose.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I'm writing a book (topic and publisher hush-hush for now) and reading "The Case for Democracy" by Natan Sharansky and "The Time Machine" by H.G. Wells. I've been trying to study XML and JavaScript as well but a major XML project at work has been sucking up too much of my time. :wink:

Certifications: A+ and Network+