GPO - Screensaver

Discussion in 'Software' started by Apexes, Feb 11, 2011.

1. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Anyone ever had to do this before?

There's some charity lark going on and i've been asked to set a standard screen saver over 250 machines in 3 different OU's. I've created a .scr file & i've found the GP i need - "Force specific screen saver", but in the box it mentions if the screen saver is not installed on a computer to which this setting applies, the setting is ignored.

I was planning on putting the .scr in a public share, which all machines can access, but that message has thrown me off

Does that mean i'd literally have to copy the .scr file to every machine i need it to run on? or is it saying that if it cannot access the file on the shared path it won't run it?

Attached Files:

• gpo.jpg
      gpo.jpg
      File size:
      47.7 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2011
    Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  2. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Putting .SCR file on the file share should do the trick.

If the file is not in Windows/System32, put the full UNC path to it in GPO setting

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  3. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Cheers luke :thumbleft

Thought as much, will look forward to all the complaints on monday morning now!

4. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Complaints are always the best. I still feel the drama from about 6 months ago when we rolled out WSUS and people could not postpone the updates anymore.

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  5. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

That's what I'd do too and use GPO.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  6. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

lol, we've got this one user, who sees the update message popups and always comes over to us and asks "Is this safe? - it says it's installing stuff on my computer, can it access my data?"

It once said the windows update had failed, and i tell you no lie - she started crying and had a tantrum in the middle of the office, because she thought all of her data had been hacked into. and all she does is email and schedule calendar appointments - it was the highlight of my career so far

7. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Well, it's working - i set the timeout to 5 minutes but for some reason it's defaulting to 10 - think there may be a higher domain policy restricting it, but i cant be arsed with that, it works which is good enough lol

7 complaints already, and it's half 6 on a friday night.... i so can't wait for monday. may set an email auto forward onto the girl who's idea it was...... :mgreen:

8. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

I hadnt thought of just sticking it on a share and pointing to it, I was going to suggest putting it on a share and a have a startup script copy it to everyone.

Over thinking again - bad Dave!

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012