GPO loopback processing

Discussion in 'Active Directory Exams' started by Ally, Jan 8, 2006.

1. Ally

Ally Byte Poster

Hi, could anyone please explain GPO loopback processing to me and in what situations it would be useful? Having trouble understanding what it actually is and does

Certifications: 70-270, 70-290, 70-291 & 70-294
    WIP: 70-293
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Here is MS's explanation of it.

I havent read it yet so don't know if it makes much sense.

I'm assuming, that you know what GPO Loopback Processing is, you simply want to know why you would need to use it, yes?

:blink

3. Ally

Ally Byte Poster

Yes jus tryin to figure out when would be beneficial to use it. Thanks for the link, i will will read through it :D

Certifications: 70-270, 70-290, 70-291 & 70-294
    WIP: 70-293
  4. MarkN

MarkN Nibble Poster

Loopback processing is used in situations where the default behaviour of Group policies is not acceptable.

By default the User settings are controlled by the User objects location in Active Directory. Irrespective of which computer the user uses the User settings will be the same.

However there may be instances that this is not wanted, i.e libraries or shop terminals. Loopback processing gives you the facility to control a users environment based on the computer object and not the the user object.

Loopback processing is found in Computer Configuration\Admin Templates\System\Group Policy and you have the option to merge or replace settings.

A very good description can be found in Gary Olsen's "Active Directory Design and Deployment" p160-162 (he reckons it was his idea!)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...43423/sr=1-7/ref=sr_1_0_7/202-1928702-1610248

Certifications: MCSE NT4\W2K,CNE,CCEA,ASE
    WIP: CCNA