GPO issue

Discussion in 'Software' started by Amine, Jun 25, 2008.

1. Amine

Amine Byte Poster

Hello All,

Have a little bit of an issue assigning an app using a gpo and would appreciate your input.

I am trying to assign office 2003 to few users, but the app somehow get published instead of being installed. (it shows on the add remove programs)

server is 2000 /domain

Any idea please:blink

WIP: Exchange
  2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Some more information would be helpful, i.e. what you have done exactly. With reference to assigning users to a office 2003 app, is the app on a thin client i.e. Citrix.

On the other hand with GPO's users are added to an OU and then the GPO linked or given permissions to that OU. Bear in mind the app would be inside the GPO.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. Amine

Amine Byte Poster

nothing much to add really usual way of assigning an app, plain vanilla windows domain (no citrix...) the wierdest thing is that we have office 2000 assigned and it works no problem.

4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

As a test, what happens when you assign it to a computer rather than a user?

Do those users have the correct Apply Group Policy permissions?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. Amine

Amine Byte Poster

correct me if I am wrong BM but if this was an issue with permissions the GPO won't apply at all. the issue that I am having here is that the policy does apply but get published instead of being assigned. a quick rsop does confirm that it is applying.

6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Try applying the install to the computer account mate, that means you should see it installing when the PC is boooting up (at the 'Applying Computer settings' part of the logon).

Assigning to users is different.

http://technet2.microsoft.com/windo...207e-4089-8490-0d002daf8b6c1033.mspx?mfr=true

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Just wondering if, perhaps, a different policy is being applied as a result of the other one not being applied.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. Amine

Amine Byte Poster

thats my point mate, the app (office2003) seems to be published (showing on the add remove pro) instead of getting installed, while AD is showing that the app is being assigned...

googled for this all day! no luck.

@BM no problem mate, your help is much appreciated .

9. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Can you assign it to the computer account though? Ive never had to roll out software on a per user basis, more like each PC has had to have the app installed so I just apply it to the computer account(s) instead.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs