Got my first job in IT!!!

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Haze, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Haze

Haze Nibble Poster

NO certifications, NO IT qualifications, NO direct IT experience.

1st line IT support role, complete change of career I've been after for a while now, and finally something I am genuinly interested in instead of working jobs that simply pay the bills. My plan was to gain certifications then apply (had started the CompTIA A+), but I saw this job and thought I'd give it a go to test the water. Found out there were 180 applicants for the role... Was stunned to get to interview stage and even more stunned to get it.

Got the job on pure passion which I tried to get across as much as possible in my covering letter and interview. I'm absolutely ecstatic. They're going to fund my certification goals as part of the job too which is amazing.

My advice to others in my position before this success came around, is to apply NOW not later, you never know what will happen if you throw your hat in the ring and show yourself to be the most enthusiastic and willing candidate.

:biggrin

Certifications: MCSA (Windows 7), MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician (Windows 7), MCTS: Windows 7 & Office 2010 Deployment, Level 3 Diploma in ICT Professional Competence, Level 3 Certificate in ICT Systems and Principles, Advanced Level Apprenticeship for IT Professionals
    WIP: MCSA: Server 2012
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Congrats :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Good stuff, congrats!

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  4. chuckles

chuckles Kilobyte Poster

Go man go!!

Certifications: '07/'09 A+, N+, S+
    WIP: maybe something Apple
  5. Haze

Haze Nibble Poster

Thanks guys!

Still can't believe it. Just can't wait to get started now!

Certifications: MCSA (Windows 7), MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician (Windows 7), MCTS: Windows 7 & Office 2010 Deployment, Level 3 Diploma in ICT Professional Competence, Level 3 Certificate in ICT Systems and Principles, Advanced Level Apprenticeship for IT Professionals
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Exactly this. :) Major congrats!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. ChrisH1979

ChrisH1979 Byte Poster

Congrats

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA, MCTS:Win 7, Application Infrastructure
    WIP: MCITP:EA
  8. volatile

volatile Nibble Poster

Good job!

Certifications: Computer Science Degree, A+
  9. Haze

Haze Nibble Poster

Thanks man, I wouldn't have believed it truly till now, but I've read it here before a few times and it's so true. I had to take a bit of a pay cut but I was more than happy to do so as I'm now at the base of a ladder I am enthusiastic about climbing, and that's worth so much more to me, you will always have to make some sacrifices to change your career.

10. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Congrats:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  11. crazy horse

crazy horse Byte Poster

Congrats!!! :D

12. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Great news, thanks for sharing! 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  13. Simit

Simit Bit Poster

Congrats!

I know the exact feeling as the the same thing happened to me.

I went for an interview for a Technician position with no commercial experience, no qualifications (though I was self-studying for the A+ at the time) and surprisingly got the job due to my passion for IT.
    I had initially intended to wait until I had passed my A+ before I started applying for jobs but saw the post and thought I'd give it a shot, just like you did and it paid off!

So yeah, I second your advice :biggrin.

Certifications: A+, N+
    WIP: MCITP: 70-680/685/686 + CCENT
  14. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Congrats! and best of luck in the new job! (Your gonna need it :twisted:)
    Passion and ambition can certainly count for a lot when getting your first (or indeed any) job.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  15. Haze

Haze Nibble Poster

Three days in and I'm loving it. So thrilled to be part of the IT world finally :biggrin