Got me a toy to tinker on

Discussion in 'Network Infrastructure' started by onoski, Apr 3, 2007.

1. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

I recently bought a Dell PowerEdge 2500 server from Ebay 1.26GB CPU twin intel processors 3, 2 scsi 18.2GB ultra 160's hot swappable hard drives. I still have four more slots to fill.

I must also say it's only 256sdram which is in modern day times in technology terms not good enough but I would add some more of these in due time.

I am think of using this beast of a machine to setup vmWare server alongside Windows server 2003 standard edition as a domain controller with active directory coupled other vmWare clients using the inbuilt bridged network options.

Well nuff of my bigging up of the above so what other suggestions can you guys and gals give me. Thanks in advance and keep on keeping on. Cheerio:D

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  2. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Nopes - VMWare Server is definitely the way to go.

Stick a shitload of RAM & disk space in there and build yourself a proper test lab - multi-site, AD, DHCP, Workstations, ISA, SQL Server, Exchange - you name it, stick it on there.

That's what the Action Pack was made for :twisted:

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  3. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Thanks Zeb, would definately take your advice onboard.:D

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
  4. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

how much you pay for it?

5. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

The poweredge server from ebay final bid cost £82 plus 20 quid shipping and the two 18.2GB scsi's from ebay as well £30.