Got Fired Today- Is there a Way back?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by NT Executive, Nov 28, 2011.

1. NT Executive

NT Executive Bit Poster

Long story short, I got a job,and a few months into probation, the company told me they are letting me go. Its pretty obvious i Just did not fit in with the company no matter how hard I tried, they havent given me much in the way of reasoning for their decision, mainly just saying stuff about not gelling with the team and thing like that. I never explicitly had an arguement with any of my team, but this workplace was very cliquey in my opinion, and I just dont think i ever fitted into the clique, technically they said I was fine but im not even sure if I can believe them on that. Pretty gutted really, never ever expected this and was never really given a heads up that this might be coming.

The thing is, Im not sure if I should be honest about this to a future employer, right now, I consider myself pretty much unemployable in I.T. because this has happen so short into my time at the job.

Has anyone here ever been through something similar or have any advice?

2. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

Looks like you're in a 'bad place' @ the moment, probably due to the shock - and who wouldn't be.

IMHO you're being very hard on yourself as, 'not fitting-in with the rest of the team' in that job hardly makes you "unemployable in I.T."

Take a deep breath, have a good night's sleep, wake-up tomorrow and work on your CV picking-out the positives that can be taken from this role...

All is NOT lost, by any means!

Good luck for the future job hunting...

Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
    WIP: 70-686, then onto MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure via MCSA: Server 2012...
  3. NT Executive

NT Executive Bit Poster

Thanks for the kind words, but realistically, no one is gonna touch me with a barge pole, 2 months into a job they will have a stigma that I have been let go and therefore questions willl always be asked.

I worked so hard to get into I.T, only been in it 9 months, left 1st line job which are a little basic where i was a top performer, this was more 2nd line, a real step up, one of the few times Ive failed at something Iv'e really wanted to do.

Just really worried for the future.

4. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

I think anyone would worry when they have just been asked to leave a role out of the blue. The job market is currently not too good, as we all know.

But that's still very much a 'singular' isolated decision made by one team in one business.

Those weren't just 'kind words' and I am being realistic when I say that in 14 years I've seen a few things in I.T. including someone who was asked to leave after just 2 weeks moving on and getting another post just as good, if not better.

Maybe, if it's necessary, you move back 'down' to 1st line and get other experience (and certs?) under your belt before moving-on once more.

There's plenty of scope out there, no two I.T. jobs are ever the same...

Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
    WIP: 70-686, then onto MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure via MCSA: Server 2012...
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Try not to stress about it mate, easy for me to say I know.

The probation period is for you to try and settle in and see if the job is for you and also for the employer to see what you are capable of as this is difficult to tell in a short interview.

You said the working environment was cliquey so did you really want to hang around anyway?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. NT Executive

NT Executive Bit Poster

I just dont know how I can explain this to a future employer, i'd be lucky to get an interview at the moment with this hanging over me. Im planning to leave this job on my c.v though rather than erasing it, but ill have a think about it.

Its basically like someone has pulled the rug from underneath your feet, really wierd feeling, confidence on the floor.

Im gonna do nothing for the next week days at least.

This whole situation came about im sure because i didnt click with the manager, I didnt have an actual falling out with them, but I didnt click with them, but Im not gonna use that as an excuse for my own failures.

7. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

If I were you then I'd probably be going down the contracting route now whilst looking for a permie role. I would have thought that if you get 2o or 3 short term contracts under your belt at least then it would be easier or at least less awkward for you to explain why the permenent one didn't work out. It would also give you a chance to build up a couple of positive references if required from the agencys or employers (depending on how long your in a contract with them).

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  8. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

This doesn't make you unemployable in IT...
    There is always a risk that people just don't 'fit in', which is why employers use probation periods.
    It's not an 'IT' thing.

Generally speaking within a probation period if things don't work out, both sides agree to shake hands and part company with no hard feelings. It doesn't count as being fired, it's more like not getting employed in the first place.

It depends on what sort of contract you had. Some companies will offer an open ended contract subject to successful completion of a probationary period. That can be a bit of a nightmare as there is no real dodging the fact that you didn't pass the probation period. Best thing here is to be honest and just say it didn't work out, otherwise it looks as if you are hiding something worse. Don't be tempted to say that the employer was weird or cliquey or whatever.

Other companies will give you a temporary contract for a few months to see how it works out and offer to renew it at the end of this period. This can work out better if things go tits-up because all you have to say is that you were on a temp contract that wasn't renewed. Let them assume that it was due to the economic downturn or cost cutting, whatever. It's happening to so many people at the moment nobody will bat an eyelid.

But try not to worry about it. We've all worked in places where we didn't fit in - you're lucky you got out in a way, there are plenty of people still stuck there.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  9. Cunningfox

Cunningfox Byte Poster

Dunno how people might react to this but, you could be a little creative; a 2 month contract sounds better and looks ok on a CV. You don't have to use them as a reference either.

Certifications: CCNP, CCNA, MCP
    WIP: ??
  10. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

a) don't push it in their face. If they're worried about it, they'll ask you. At the entry levels, some places have high staff turnovers. Your situation is not unique and whilst it will have made you feel at your worst, it in no way makes you unemployable.

b) don't erase it from your CV. From your tax history, the job will be there and *when* you get your new role if you then have to back track and explain this missing job information... then you'll be in the midden.

Do not let this:

Result in this:
    You've been stunned for sure, but staff being released in a probationary period is hardly an uncommon experience. It's a depressing one, maybe, but you didn't do anything critically wrong by your own admission. If the place was cliquey, and you said you felt like you weren't fitting in, then it sounds like a simple mutual parting of ways in essence.

There's a good Latin proverb : qui humi iacet, non quo cadet (I think, haven't looked it up). Basically "he who lies on the ground has no where to fall". Don't let this drag you down, as it'll be that much harder to recover from long term. Start job hunting straight away. Going straight in to new employment will be better than any hiatus, and if you get used to the procrastination of "laying low" it could be bad long term. Perhaps use this time to beef up your CV with some certs alongside job hunting (always impressive to an employer).

So you've never had any genuine reasons. But you said yourself you didn't fail at the role. I've seen people not get jobs before because they didn't fit in with the team, simply because in a high-pressure environment it is easier if the team is closely knit and works with ease as a unit. Some managers treasure this factor greatly when building their teams, sometimes above current technical ability, which can always be learnt (personality is inherently ingrained).

Don't start telling yourself you have "failed" when you don't know what you "failed" or why. Dust off, get up, and get back on it. And my own opinion versus Cunningfox is no porkies on the CV, it will always come round and bite you on the backside.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
    JonnyMX likes this.
  11. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Employers can tell you anything really so don't be too hard on yourself as I have been in a similar position in the past and know it's not easy to swallow. However, stay positive and start looking for something else as am sure you'd do well.

Well this is not to dismiss everything your employer has told you but err on the side of caution and take the positives and move on. Best wishes and don't stress as life is too precious:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  12. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

It was a personality clash, it happens, it won't be the last time you will experience things like this. Time to pick yourself up off the floor and move on because if you don't then really there isn't much point in working in IT, it's one of the most thankless jobs out there, you're blamed for everything that goes wrong, whether you actually did it or not and if you don't have a thick skin and can take the good with the bad then you are probably better off out of IT and looking at a career in fastfood or something equally as boring and mundane.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  13. Haze

Haze Nibble Poster

This guy speaks a lot of sense.

If you ask me you tried to move up the ladder too quick, I'm not sure how you can go from 1st to 2nd line in the space of 9 months really.

As for your CV, there's no harm in you saying you decided you wanted to move on for your own reasons too, it doesn't just have to be a 'push' situation when you're questioned on it. They can't really give you a bad reference either, unless the law has changed there.

Chin up, lick your wounds and get back out there.

Certifications: MCSA (Windows 7), MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician (Windows 7), MCTS: Windows 7 & Office 2010 Deployment, Level 3 Diploma in ICT Professional Competence, Level 3 Certificate in ICT Systems and Principles, Advanced Level Apprenticeship for IT Professionals
    WIP: MCSA: Server 2012
  14. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

9 Months is more than enough time to look to take the next step.

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  15. Haze

Haze Nibble Poster

Depends how genuinely good at your job you want to be, I don't think 9 months is enough time to build up the skillset and experience required to be a good 2nd line engineer.

There are loads of poor engineers around thanks to the attitude that you can somehow fast-track your career like that (in fact many have tried and failed to get jobs at my work as they've been found wanting at interview and technical test stages, and many with much more than 9 months IT behind them or even '2nd line' roles elsewhere, not to mention two 2nd line engineers hired and later let go for similar reasons).

Certifications: MCSA (Windows 7), MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician (Windows 7), MCTS: Windows 7 & Office 2010 Deployment, Level 3 Diploma in ICT Professional Competence, Level 3 Certificate in ICT Systems and Principles, Advanced Level Apprenticeship for IT Professionals
    WIP: MCSA: Server 2012
  16. Sparky

Yup, I was a network manager after 9 months.

People progress at different speeds.....

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  17. Sparky

Well said :)

18. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

That's a popular misconception, but has never really been the case.
    Employers have always feared giving a bad reference in case they get done for defamation of character, and so what, they are rid of you anyway so it's easier to say 'yup, fine'.

In fact, employers are required to give an accurate reference - otherwise they run the risk of incurring the wrath of your new employer who may have employed a muppet on the basis of their recommendation.

So if you get 'let go' because you are totally unemployable, don't expect a favorable reference.
    I've given plenty of bad ones in my time and take a certain pride in making every effort to make sure that bastards who have made my life difficult find it as hard as possible to find a new job.

The 'would you employ this person again?' tick-box usually speaks volumes... :biggrin

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
    Bluerinse likes this.
  19. Adzmobile

Adzmobile Nibble Poster

Dont worry about it mate - you are not unemployable at all.

This has happened to me also! However i was let go slightly earlier than you - after about 3 weeks! lol

I was employed for a perm post and I worked really very hard but unfortunately due to events that was not even my fault, i pretty much got the blame and was let go. I was actually in a super bad place and depressed about the whole situation. I really did try my best to do well but it didnt work out.

I took a contract position with a company was supposed to be 3 months but got extended to around a year - this was the best opportunity that i could of got at the time and so glad things happened the way it did. I ended becoming the main IT engineer for the whole company and working on projects (going from doing 1st line type work lol )

I think you should go down the contracting route and after a few months you can fill that void in your CV - say you took a holiday if you dont want to mention that position. I know that sometimes recruiters can be abit funny when they see you have left after short period, alternatively you could perhaps put the position as a short term contract?

Either way dont get yourself too down, you still gained experience and skills. Everyone goes through a knock back at some point 1 way or another - learn and improve from it!

Good Luck!

Certifications: Commvault Administrator, CCNA, ITILv3, CCA for XenApp 6, CCAA for XenApp 6.5, CCA for XenDesktop 5, CCA for NetScaler 9.2, CCA for XenServer 6,VMware VCP5, VSTP 5, HP SMB Storage, Citrix Certified Enterprise Engineer (CCEE), EMCISA, VCAP-DCA
    WIP: DCUCI
  20. NT Executive

NT Executive Bit Poster

Things getting worse.

Today I recieved my official letter of termination.

''Swearing infront of customers'' : This is actually me swearing in conversations with members of staff, as did the boss on one or two odd times, i was spoken to about this once, and it in my final meeting with the boss was told that I had cut down on my language/made an effort with it. I know it sounds bad, im not perfect but this is has completely OVER DRAMATISED on the letter to make me look bad.

''Instances when you have not followed the bosses direction'' : I think this related to the time i was asked to move a bunch of plug sockets off the floor and into a safe place. I moved them onto my desk for the time being whilst I worked on the 50 PLUS CASES IN MY QUEUE and customers constantly harassing me to do stuff for them. Someone then moved them for me, before I had the chance.

Again, totally over dramatised.

''Frequently interuptting members of the team with conversations not relevant to work'': This is coming from a team that frequently discussed

What D.I.Y jobs they had left to do in their house
    Why their a member of staff only helped nice looking ladies
    The latest Dan Brown book one staff member was reading
    What the boss would be doing for his wedding aniversary
    The boss making constant phone calls to his wife at work and ordering household items on argos.
    The boss spending 20 mins chatting with the head of sales about the poker game after work.

Needless to say, this job will not go on my C.V

I think ill leave I.T althogether....or start again in another role.

Complete utter stitch up.

THIS SAME BOSS CALLED ME 2 DAYS AGO, LETTING ME KNOW OF ANOTHER ROLE THAT MIGHT BE AVAILABLE IN ANOTHER COMPANY!!!!

And yet you'd think i was hitler going by that letter.

Unbelieveable.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011