''Got Fired- Is There A Way Back" Part 2

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by NT Executive, Mar 19, 2012.

1. NT Executive

NT Executive Bit Poster

A While back, I made a thread called ''just got fired, is there a way back''. This was when I was let go during the Probation period at my previous workplace. As previous thread, i thought it was pretty unjustified and that it was more to do with a not fitting into a very ''cliquey'' small team.

Well I just thought I'd let you know what happened afterwards.

Initially the week afterwards, it was pretty difficult, i barely left the house, I wasnt worried about leaving the job, because i didnt like the environment, i was more worried about my C.V looking terrible and not being able to get work. I couldnt really touch a P.C and at one stage did wonder whether I could continue to work in I.T.

Well the week after that I got the hunger to start working with PC's again, so i started watching some windows 7 exam videos and reading on technet and doing alot of deployments and migrations in my virtual machines, basically picking up some skills incase anyone ever wanted to employ me again. I decided not to look for work right away, but build up some skills and get some confidence back 1st. After about 2 months, I felt ready to get back into work, but thought it would take me a long time to get back in, to be honest i wasnt sure i work in i.t again for a long time.

I actually looked back at my troubleshooting style, the way i tried to solve issues, and the way i went about my work and i have identified a number of flaws which I am trying to correct till this day, it will take a while, but Im glad I took the time out to do this as I feel it may help in the long run.

But actually, i did get hounded and harassed by agencies (not just chasing for leads) looking to get me to go to interviews, I turned down a few as I was trying to pick my next role carefully. After about a week and a bit of looking i took a short term. contract role with a company,I really only wanted an easy 1st line role whilst i continued to pick up and correct my skillset on the side, but ended up being persuaded to take a 1st/2nd line role instead.

Been in the role less than a month and the manager has asked if I will go perm with the company (I will think this over), which I consider to be an achievement from where I was a few months back, the role pays a hell of alot more than my last one.

So yea, thats me, big thanks to most of the guys on here who were pretty helpful and offering pick me ups, after a week or two, I became focused again and found a role easily.

Time away from work doesnt always have to be a bad thing if you can look at your ''game'' and try and spot weaknesses in it and areas to improve, I have a hell of a long way to go myself, but getting let go from that company may have actually helped my career rather than hindered it, time will tell eh.

2. Beerbaron

Beerbaron Megabyte Poster

congrats on the new job.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), MSc, ITIL v3F, MCP, MCDST, MCITP: edst7, MCTS, MCSA: Server 2003, MCSA: Windows 7, N+, NVQ IT lvl 3, MCSA Windows 7, VCP5, CCENT, CEH
    WIP: CISSP
  3. alexdc12

alexdc12 Kilobyte Poster

well done! fair play on upping your game

Certifications: GNVQ Advanced IT, CompTIA A+, CompTIA N+, 70-680
    WIP: 70-685, ITIL v3 Foundation
  4. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Nice one.
    As soon as you stop analysing yourself you're on the slippery slope to mediocresville.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  5. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Congratulations, mate:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  6. 1/4

1/4 Byte Poster

It's Cliche I know but "Quitters never win and winners never quit" really is key.

Glad you bounced back so soon.

Certifications: A+, N+
    WIP: 70-680
  7. mitufrim

mitufrim Bit Poster

congrats i hope this experiece made u much stronger :) do not give up

8. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Congratz, big thumbs up. :thumbleft

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  9. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Congrats! Sometimes we have to go through hard times to figure out things in life.. but I am glad you've managed to find something, I also didn't think that getting fired would make you unemployable in IT. Good stuff!

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  10. Wireless_Snake

Wireless_Snake Nibble Poster

Congratulations getting back into IT.

Certifications: BSc (Hons) Computer Network Tech, CCNA, CCAI
    WIP: CCNP, VCP 5, SCP
  11. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Well done and congratulations on the new role. All the best and keep on being positive:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  12. andylad9

andylad9 Byte Poster

Congrats

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | 70-680 | 70-685 | MTA Server
    WIP: deciding now...
  13. TechTock

TechTock Byte Poster

Well done on sorting another job out.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician | PRINCE2 Foundation | VCP5
    WIP: Having a rest :-)