Got a job at last!

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by RickUK, Nov 7, 2008.

1. RickUK

RickUK Nibble Poster

Hi folks

I am delighted to say that I've got my first paid work for over a year, working on an outsourced first line technical support helpdesk on a "temp to perm" contract.

I'm going to note down a couple of points that people may want to comment on.

Positives: I know I am good at customer service so I am playing to my strengths. This is a good stepping stone for a permanent career in IT. The work may even be relevant to my 70-271 studies.

Negatives: I was doing this kind of work several years ago and unlike then I am not using my foreign language skills. The money isn't particularly good.

Regards
    R

WIP: 70-271
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Congrats.:)

The money will go up when you get more experience.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

You should find that working on the helpdesk will assist alot with your MCDST.
    Good luck in your new venture and no give up no matter how piss taking those users are!

4. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

congrats on the job. I know it's not easy finding a job in IT but the experience we gain helps us a lot in reaching our goal.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Congrats!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Congratulations:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  7. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Congratulations Rick :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  8. Tyler D

Tyler D Gigabyte Poster

Well done :biggrin Use it as a stepping stone to move on to bigger and better things.

Certifications: A+,70-270
    WIP: 70-290
  9. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Well done, let us know how the first few days go!

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  10. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

congrats

Certifications: MCITP:SA,MCTS(x5),MCSE2K3;MCSA2K3:M;MCP
    WIP: EDA7,70-652,Project+,MSP(70-632)
  11. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Congrats rich, at least its a job and will help towards the mcdst.

I'm in much the same boat as you, i started a few weeks ago doing helpdesk for a company on thier own software. I quit my previous job for this one, which is a step down as it uses less skills and knowledge than i needed in teh last one. However, while moneys not as good, due to traveling less each month i actuall am better off, plus its less stressful. And now to top it off they want me to take over the in house training on teh software.

So even if it seems liek its not as good as something you've done before, its a job and it may open up other oppertunities.

(Its not plymouth council is it??)

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  12. RickUK

RickUK Nibble Poster

Thanks for the nice comments everybody!

I'm so delighted that I've got this opportunity. The past three years - since leaving another helpdesk for other avenues - have been pretty chronic. It's in a convenient location for me and at the moment I am paying no rent so the money should go a long way.

No it's not Plymouth City Council! I'm going to keep my cards close to my chest on more specifics for obvious reasons.

Regards
    Rick

13. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Congratulations on the new Job mate:thumbleft

If it's not the council, is it somewhere in Devonport?

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  14. RickUK

RickUK Nibble Poster

Actually I'm not in Plymouth at all. I was interested in the test centre because it was the nearest to the town in Somerset where I was living at the time.

15. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Isnt there a prometric test center in Barnstaple north devon? wouldnt that have been closer for you?

16. RickUK

RickUK Nibble Poster

I was reliant on the train for transport - and Plymouth had a lot of vacant slots at the time. Have a nice week, Twizzle and all! Think of me tomorrow.. I'm a little nervous!

17. Necroscope

Necroscope Nibble Poster

Congrats on the job, best of luck in your new job

Certifications: A+, N+,70-210, 70-270,MCDST,ECDL,CSCS
    WIP: ITIL v3 Foundation (sent me to sleep 3 times don't think made it past page 15), 70-680
  18. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Well good luck anyway!!

19. RickUK

RickUK Nibble Poster

Thanks. Enjoyed my first day. Nice to see some MCDST stuff come to life. One example today was that a user was getting an error message about synchronizing files for working offline.

20. vikasarora

vikasarora New Member

coongratualtion