'Good' worm fights MSBlast

Discussion in 'News' started by SimonV, Aug 19, 2003.

1. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

'Good' worm fights MSBlast

Instead of crashing computers and attacking Microsoft, a new variant of the MSBlast worm downloads relevant patches

A variant of MSBlast spread on Monday, but the new worm has an odd twist: it applies a patch for the vulnerability that it and other MSBlast worms use to infect Windows systems.

The new worm, dubbed W32.Welchia, W32/Nachi and Worm_MSBlast.D, appears to properly download the patch for both Windows 2000 and Windows XP from Microsoft's Web site. Moreover, the variant will delete itself the first time an infected computer starts up in 2004.

Full story

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
porta2_tags:

Comments

1. brent
      brent
      How odd, now why would somebody create a good virus there must be something not right about all this?? :disguise
    2. Jakamoko
      Jakamoko
      Thats exactly what I thought, brent - but who are we mortals to question the mighty Viro-maniacs ???
    3. Luton Bee
      Luton Bee
      I read somewhere that (I think it was) Unix had done this before to patch systems. However that was an "official" worm this Blaster "good guy" is very much an un-officail worm and should be avoided if possible.