good training place in london

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by manyb, Oct 2, 2009.

1. manyb

manyb Bit Poster

hi i made a similar thred else where but i wanted to know if theres a good training place in london that would help me get use to networking.

ive done my mcdst and im gonna take my A+ ( i didnt know it would cost so much:eek:) and on another thred it was recommended that i do my N+ but another person said that you will never be prepared till your working in a job.

so if there is a short course i can take, like a week or two that would be great. i talked to "just-it" and even though they seemed really helpful its well over a grand plus you have to pay £3000+ once they get you a job.
    but just-it spend 4-5 days intensively training you which i what i liked as im just looking for hands on experience.

so if anyone can help that'll be great.

2. OnFire

OnFire Nibble Poster

To be honest it sounds like a complete waste of money.

I would like to think a better option would be offer yourself out to work for free. Then you will get hands on experience, not have to pay for it and if you do good you might get a job at the end of it.

Or

Spend £1000 on a ballsie computer, download Virtual PC or simliar and just build your own infrastructure to learn from, spending as long as you like doing it. Sure it is not real world work experience, but neither is a week or two with a training provider.

Certifications: See Signature
    WIP: None....at last!!
  3. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Over a grand for the Network+? Are you f***ing kidding me?!? Man alive that is a rip-off. Go to a local college and enroll on a basic computer networking course. It will cost you peanuts and will give you enough of a grounding for you to be able to pass the N+ with your eyes closed. Seriously - we're not talking rocket science here. You'd be better off spending 100 quid on two crummy old PCs off eBay, a cheap switch and some CAT5 cables and hooking them up together, then spending another £100 on some self-study materials (there are some excellent N+ books available, along with practice exams that show you what type of questions to expect on the exam, and what you need to study to get you through it)

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

what he said ^

Self studying the A+, N+ and MCDST should only cost you £731 and that includes the exam costs with no discount vouchers and the books you will need. Add a couple of cheap computers and a switch it should cost no more than 1k.

Already have a computer? get virtual pc and use the free trials of xp that come with the ms press books and download win2k3 from technet or microsoft and you would cut the cost back to £731.

Since you have the MCDST deduct £176 and the A+ and N+ should cost you no more than £555 including books and exams with no discount vouchers.

Visit www.graectechsolutions.com and get the international discount vouchers for the A+ and save yourself the VAT same goes for the N+

Whoever is saying that £3000 is charge for studying the N+ with them is ripping you off big time

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. manyb

manyb Bit Poster

oh no i should have explained myself better, that justIT group do a 4 week course and over the course they teach you and give you hands on experience that covers the A+, mcdst, server 2003, and some cisco network thing that is covers everything in the N+ and they also give you work experience plus theres a job at the end.

but i already know how to do two of those things and i agree with what you lot are saying that they're cheaper alternatives.
    i just built an awesome computer so im gonna try the virtual computer stuff first along with the A+, the problem with local colleges is that they're 6 weeks+ and most of the courses in london are around 12 months which is way too long.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2009
  6. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Is that £1K (+3K) for the A+ you're quoting there :eek:
    (EDIT: I see it isn't.)
    In my opinion these bootcamp style training courses are designed for people with experience in the field that need to get the cert quick to back up their experience. I doubt that anyone could stuff the amount of sheer facts that they need to know into their heads in a week.
    The Net+ is also very useful, it goes a bit deeper into client-side networking, LANs and a bit of WANs as well.
    Personally I think I would have struggled with the networking side of the MCDST without doing the N+ first, and I might have struggled with the N+ if I hadn't done the A+ first.

I don't think anything can prepare you for the real world of networking but the N+ will certainly give you the knowledge to resolve issues at a first-line level.
    I volunteer at a charity to get some hands-on IT experience and on my second day there the entire network was down and the sys admin was incommunicado. Using the knowledge gained from the N+ and the principle of "first, do no harm" I managed to resolve the problem. I reckon that shows the N+ prepared me enough to start gaining real-world experience.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2009
    Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  7. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Run away. Honestly. Run away.
    There is absolutely no way anyone could do all that in 4 weeks without extreme cheating or considerable prior experience.
    Any offer of a job is to be taken with a large sack of salt and, in my opinion, TPs who sell these kind of courses are large sacks of something completely different.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  8. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

This.

I know your in a hurry but if you hand over your hard earned money for this course you are more than likely going to end up disappointed. Take the time and really learn the skills to do the job right.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Doesn't matter if it's a 2 week course or a 2 month course or a 2 year course... there are much cheaper options available. And the experience that they give isn't considered "experience" by employers. It's no different than the experience you'd get by setting up a home lab.

Server 2003 isn't required for Network+, nor is Cisco.

And if you truly believe that there's a guaranteed job at the end of it for you, I'd highly recommend you carefully read the other posts in this forum.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!