Good news for me during credit crunch

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by sakuraba1982, Mar 13, 2009.

1. sakuraba1982

sakuraba1982 Nibble Poster

i just thought I might like to share some good news in amounst all the bad news of the credit crunch etc..... I worked for my local council as a 1st line service support technician for nearly 2 years prior to this I had passed my A+ and N+ I thought i knew alot about computers after passing these exams but i was cery very wrong.

For about 6 months I was really pleaseed to be a 1st line support tech but after that i found myself getting bored just answering the phone as this can be limited in what you learn. So i started and passed my MCSA 2003 over the course of a year but then the credit crunch really hit and I really struggled to find a second line support position due to there being less jobs out there.

I was on about 16k in the 1st line support and when I passed my exams they put my to the top of my payscale only a raise of 1.5k but it was warmly recieved they were unable to promote me at that time due to the credit crunch.

Then one of the 2nd liners decided to get another job and from then on I made a point of doing as much 2nd line hands on experince as i could get away with. I was not getting paid for it but I didn't care!!!

long story short 3 months on and I have been promoted to a second line support technician :) with nearly a 6k raise.

So the moral of this story is DON'T GIVE UP!! it took me two years to get what I wanted but I got there

All the best

:)

Certifications: A+ N+ MCSA 2003
  2. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Well done mate :)

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  3. sakuraba1982

Thanks alot mate,

I Nearly lost hope after I kept applying for jobs getting interviews and just misisng out to people with more experience. It s a big jump for 1st to 2nd line support.

4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

congrats:)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Is it Kent County Council? Didn't know that the credit crunch affected councils...I thought it was stupidity i.e. investing millions of tax payer's money with a dodgy Icelandic bank.

But looks like things are on the up for you! I too started the same as you at a council. Started on 1st line then got up to 2nd line. Moving up the ladder in a council is quite an achievement as you have to either a) wait till someone dies or b) hope that a temporary position turns permanent.

Great news and well done!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  6. Metalstar

Metalstar Kilobyte Poster

That's awesome. It's good to hear about jobs going to people who deserve them-especially in the council.

Congrats sir!

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Network+
  7. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Congrats mate, on to bigger, better & more complicated things :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  8. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Congrats dude, well done.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  9. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Congrats mate :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  10. loneferret

loneferret Byte Poster

Congrats! :p

Certifications: MCDST/N+/L+/i-Net+/CIW/OSCP/OSCE
    WIP: MCTS 70-662
  11. sakuraba1982

The thing was it was me getting my MCSA what got me noticed and got the ball rolling :)

12. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Major congrats!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!