Good Morning

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Eternal_Inertia, Oct 23, 2007.

1. Eternal_Inertia

Eternal_Inertia New Member

Hi Everyone,

I just stumbled upon this forum and it sounded just the right place for getting some further advice about getting certified. Currently I am still working at my student job and hating it. I finished Uni over a year ago (in Forensic Science and Psychology) but now I really want to get into Forensic Computing but I believe that is further off sttll (plus I'm going to do a masters before that) so in the meantime I want to obtain a job in IT support to develop my PC computing skills, as at the moment I have nothing official to say I can work one (although I can very efficiently I think :rolleyes: )

I've applied for a number of IT 1st line support roles but I never seem to get anywhere and I wonder if my lack of qualifications is holding me back. The certs I have noted are the ECDL (which I think is rather basic, pretty much like IT GCSE) or the MCDST.

The question is, are these beneficial and if so, where can I study them in the North West, or via distance learning? I've had a scout around and there seem to be a lot of companies that offer this training but I don't know whether to trust cheap prices and unknown companies, or to go with someone like ICS a national company (but very high prices) or would a local college do it?

Thanks for any advice, I can work a computer but I can't prove it!

WIP: CompTIA A+
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF.

Basically the 3 most poplar professional entry exams are the Comptia A+, Comptia Network+ and the MCDST. Two ways of studying for them: Self-Study which alot of people do here, or find a training provider (I would recommend a college and not a private training company as colleges that are MS & comptia academies are cheaper). Me personally I did (and still so) a hybrid between the 2: self study for some and classes for others :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. Rafek

Rafek Kilobyte Poster

Hello & Welcome

I second what Wagnerks just said. Have a look through the comptia A+ & Network+ and the MCDST forums on this site to get a feel of what is needed and cover by each exam.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: IPT/IPCC stuff
  4. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF:D, valuable advise given above.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  5. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Another recommendation for the A+, Network+, and MCDST... particularly the A+. They don't guarantee you a job... but they certainly make you look more attractive to employers.

You don't need to take a course... you can get your certifications through self-study... grab a book and start learning! I highly recommend Meyers' A+ All-in-One Exam Guide and Pyles' PC Technician Street Smarts.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. Eternal_Inertia

Thanks very much for your replies you've definitely helped me out.

Although now I wonder which cert I should go for, I'd really like to go into the support role so presume that the Microsoft DT cert would be the best to go for, but the hardware sections of the A+ seem appealing also.

After reading a few posts here I feel better about the self-study route and doesn't seem to hard on the brain and especially the wallet as training courses, plus its more self-paced.

Currently I'm running Vista so it would probably be an idea to go back to XP on another (cheapy) computer if I'm going to do this cert, am I right?

I'm getting there but I still need some motivation to get the books and get my head down. It's just worrysome starting something yourself and not knowing whether the expense will be justified in the end with a job you can enjoy.

8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Both. That said, I'd recommend doing the A+ before doing the MCDST.

The A+ exam is not OS-dependent. Rather, it covers many OSes.

The MCDST focuses primarily on XP Pro.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. Eternal_Inertia

Well I think I'll go for the A+ first, I'll get myself a copy of Meyer's A+ guide and just get it done. My parents said they'd help me with the exams and then I'll look into N+ and MCDST seeing as that seems to be the recognised and recommended order :cheers

I'm quite looking forward to it, I enjoyed upgrading my current PC so to get another one for a few quid off ebay and constantly break and fix it will be great fun :alc lol

Thanks for your advice :)

10. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009