Good certs for 1st line job... First step into IT

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by nizmo, Jan 13, 2012.

1. nizmo

nizmo New Member

Hello everyone,

I am wondering what certs would give me a better advantage of landing a basic first line position. First of all I do have a BTEC National Diploma in IT Practitioning which covered a large range of IT areas. And I've also got a 2.1 degree in Bsc Digital Media (Though this was just software based, animation, web, games etc) Before my BTEC I done a pretty basic City and Guilds IT Course, which did feature some IT support aspects at a basic level.

Now I'm not sure if anyone could confirm, but the BTEC course I done, was pretty similiar to the Comptia A+ course, so I have have that in the bag. Although its probably not as recognised as the A+.

So I think my next step is to get some more certs, and do some volunteering. (I am currently filling in an application for an IT Administrator position at a nearby CAB)

In the meantime I would like to do some certs - I have been thinking firstly the 70-680, but not sure what after that...

Also, I'm thinking do I get a cert in Active Directory ? or just tinker with it myself ?

I think the main thing I need is experience, so getting a volunteering position is essential.

Appreciate any advice :)

Thanks

Nizmo

2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Hi Nizmo,

You are doing the right thing and have the right attitude and yes experience is crucial including customer handling skills and communication. In terms of certs it wouldn't hurt to get a Microsoft operating system cert i.e. XP or Windows 7, but the later might be more relevant as most firms are still using these.

I would install the server operating system such as windows 2003 or 2008 and run dcpromo on it to create an active directory system. Troubleshooting and user administration such as reset of passwords, folder access permissions and users desktop profile are areas you can then learn.

Well in terms of 1st line support role the above would put you in good stead as you would be expected to know the above. Another cert you can look at would be the A+ cert as it covers the computer hardware components as well as operating system.

Finally, start looking for a role now such as 1st line and helpdesk, technical support analyst. Best wishes:) and lets know how you get on.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. nizmo

nizmo New Member

Thanks so much for the reply!

I just applied to another first line position today, spent ages on my covering letter and cv! fingers crossed.

I need to install a virtual machine on my laptop, can anyone reccomend one? VMWare, virtual box, virtual pc ?

I am going to go over the A+ material, maybe get a book. I need to refresh myself since doing the BTEC. (Which looks like it covered most if not all of A+)

4. Les1977

Les1977 Bit Poster

I came across some mention of the BTEC closely following the A+ syllabus, when I was looking into certification.
    If that is the case, then the A+ will be a nice piece of low hanging fruit for you, and it cant hurt to go and do it.

I find VirtualBox a joy to use, plus it is free, and runs on everything and anything. Absolute breeze to install, tinker with, and break OS's to your hearts content.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
    Certifications: CompTIA A+, Network+, Linux+ / LPIC-1
    WIP: 70-680