Good book to learn Linux from?

Discussion in 'Linux+' started by Dave, Nov 19, 2009.

1. Dave

Dave Bit Poster

Hi there,

Could anyone recommend a good book or books from which to learn Linux from the absolute beginning?

I would be looking in the long term to sitting the Linux+ exam but I understand that the Linux+ study books take the view that you're already more than familiar with Linux?

I understand that there are many different flavours of Linux and I would be looking for a book/s that would compliment the Linux+ study material when I eventually get to that point.

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. :biggrin

Certifications: A+, N+, Sec+, MCP, MCDST, MCTA
    WIP: 70-290 & Linux+
  2. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

I bought a book on Ubuntu when I was looking to learn Linux (can't remember what it was called) I read about 4 pages of it and spent the rest of the time just poking around and having a look.

Most of what I learnt I learnt from the net really, when I found something I couldn't do I googled it.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  3. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

From what I've seen of the Linux+ material, it is a beginners cert so any books should treat you as such. I think someone on here said it was "a mile wide but an inch deep" and I'd have to agree from what I've seen of the study material.
    I thought about this cert but I think I'd rather go for the LPIC1, it seems to carry a little more weight but cover the basics like Linux+.
    I'm like Joshiab at the moment, google what I don't know and it's all good. Once I'm confident with Linux and have the time to do a cert I'll look for a book to make sure I've covered all the objectives.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

I think this book has been recommended in the past which although is written with Ubuntu in mind probably relevant to learning the subject in mind.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  5. Dave

Dave Bit Poster

Thanks guys!

I will definately give the book you recommended Boyce the once over. I think Ubuntu would be a good choice to familiarise myself with as I'd like to (not sure how possible it would be though) one day get into the security side of things, maybe even pen testing.

Thanks for your advice

Certifications: A+, N+, Sec+, MCP, MCDST, MCTA
    WIP: 70-290 & Linux+
  6. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Having had a look at the content pages I reckon it's too Ubuntu-centric to be of great help with the Linux+. Since the L+ is vendor neutral you need to work at the command line almost exclusively but that book seems more of a users guide to the GUI than anything else.
    Could be a good book to get you up and running in Ubuntu though.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  7. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

Just Bite the Bullet!
    3 Easy steps required
    -Remove Windows OS's from ALL machines within Proximity
    -Install Linux (I recomend Ubuntu for beginners)
    -Remember Google is your friend (this is the only resource you require)!

Craig
    PS. This will be scary but you will be on your way in no time, (and certified L+)