Going to train for the CCENT

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by mattstevenson, Dec 16, 2008.

1. mattstevenson

mattstevenson Byte Poster

I've posted a few times in the last little while, and changed my mind several times. However, having considered Mr Wagnerk's kind advice, I've decided to start low and work up - I'm going away to train for the CCENT. I'll be training with Firebrand, as I've had a good experience with them previously, and they've offered for me to go back and study the rest of the material required to achieve a CCNA at a later date, for the same money. Nifty, eh? :tongue

I think there's one more question that I'd really like to get an answer to before I hand over the cash etc, and that is: Having done the CCENT, will I be in a better position to just self study the remainder of the material in order to get a CCNA? Obviously it'd be cheaper to do so. So, viable option?

Also, cheers for the advice I've received so far, you're all ever so helpful. ^_^

Matt.

Certifications: Triple A+. Network+, CCENT
    WIP: MCP, ICND2, Sec+
  2. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Not really my field but from what I've seen and read on CCNA I doubt it unless you're prepared to pay out for your own lab etc. Actual experience is very much the name of the game. I have been looking at CCNA as a possible option myself but decided I wouldn't be comfortable with self-study for that. Have been looking at this though which looks interesting and there's some longer study options available too.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

IMO, whether it's a viable option is totally up to you and your situation at the time. Factors to consider: Study material, kit, experience or not, etc.

Whatever you decide, good luck and let us know how you get on :)

-Ken

p.s. UKD beat me to one of the links, the other one I was going to suggest is this one. No experience of them, but the prices didn't look to bad.

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. mattstevenson

That was quick. As it goes, I've already got me a Cisco router. Not a big'un, but it's a Cisco 837 one with an ADSL module. So I might get some realistic usage out of it in configuring it for my Broadband connection, eh?
    Also, I do have an endless number of old PCs, Macs and laptops with Ethernet connections, so I could probably set up a nice little network as a 'lab'.

5. Kitkatninja

And then you may as well use that lab for your MS studies as well :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  6. mattstevenson

And you reckon that router's going to be suitable? What about switches - would it be necessary to buy other hardware to get all the knowledge required, or are the commands similar/identical on each device?

7. Kitkatninja

What for the MS or the Cisco stuff? I thought that you'd have a small home switch somewhere about?

-Ken

8. mattstevenson

Well naturally I have switches, I meant Cisco ones though.

9. Kitkatninja

Sorry mate, you quote me saying "MS studies as well", didn't know which one you meant :)

I believe that you have to have both the switch and the router (maybe someone can confirm this?) as it does cover both Ethernet Local Area Networks as well as Wide Area Networks (routing). The most popular switch is the 2950 for the CCNA/CCENT, but that's as far as I know :)

-ken

10. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Hey

I don't know how much background you have already. But I've managed to pass CCENT (640-822) after 10 days of studying Llamle's book (Sybex) and then checking it up with W.Odom's (Cisco Press). As for the hand's on part and Cisco IOS I was using Packet Tracer 5.0. It was enough for me to pass with 910 score approximately 2 weeks after I opened Sybex book for the first time.

Good luck
    Regards

WIP: Uhmm... not sure