Going to give up CIW course

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by sappleton, Jan 23, 2008.

1. sappleton

sappleton Bit Poster

decided to stop this course and go for something more recognised in the UK

I haven't found it mentioned anywhere on IT jobs websites so what should I go for that is recognised

i am particularly interested in web design/e-commerce

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I thought it was recognised, I would stick at if I were you especially if you have paid for it.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

I have the CIW certification and I don't even list it on my CV, so I can understand why you'd want to give it up. Adobe offers a Dreamweaver certification, although I don't know if it's any more widely recognized than the CIW certification. Microsoft offers a programming certification, and you can specialize in Web programming. That being said, many people use a portfolio instead of certifications to prove their abilities in Web design.

4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

To be honest, I wouldn't stop doing this course. While you may not find the CIW stated on a job advert, the skills and knowledge that you gain from doing this course will only help you. Just take a look at tech support job adverts, only a minority actually state Comptia A+ (yet it's commonly accepted as an entry cert for a level 1 and/or 2 support job).

As for stating CIW with any job site just see:
    itjobswatch and Computing Career's.

Hope this helps

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Most of the Computing.co.uk jobs look bogus, and you wouldn't need a CIW if you had three years web dev experience anyway. The other ones for a CIW trainer which again you won't qualify.

IT jobs watch has it at 0.02% of jobs on average, which to be honest is more than I thought, how ever bear in mind that these figures can be easily skewed up or down by a number of factors. This means 2 in 10000 jobs will request CIW, i would say anything less than 1/1000 is a seriously niche job requirement, meaning that CIW is not widely required fot IT jobs.
    The salary of £28k-£34k I would say is rather optimistic for a newly qualified CIW with little experience.

However finish what you start is nearly always good advice and it at least proves commitment to learning to prospective employers. The course and the knowledge you will gain is not useless, its just that really its only a very small start on the path to becomming a web developer, you will probably have to do a lot more to prove yourself and land a job.

Examples of good work or projects which you have entirely created will in general prove more, build and deploy a few fully functionaly web sites would be my advice, when you are comfortable maybe find a real client if you can and offer your services for free.

Best of luck ! You can do it, but I would concentrate on building stuff that works and not worry so much about taking tests...
    Any good web dev could pass most of the CIW exams in their sleep.

6. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome to CF 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009