Going to fail

Discussion in 'A+' started by openup, Mar 30, 2011.

1. openup

openup New Member

Sorry to be blunt but this is strange. Over the years I've come to terms with me being ok'ish with systems. I've now decided to take on A+ which may lead onto another course, network+ but thats unlikely at the moment with how my brain is functioning. I'm learning via CompTIA... videos. Problem is I can't seem to get the knowledge into my head, like specific information. I have until the end of May to get the knowledge into my head and get the exam done. Can someone help me? like offer the limitless NZT pill :let_it_al

2. cisco lab rat

cisco lab rat Megabyte Poster

Hi

Do you have any kit to work with?

And Yes, you are going to fail if you think you keep telling yourself that you are going to fail, stay positive, always bear in mind, what choice do you have. tell yourself you are going to pass and you will pass

Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
    Certifications: Yes I pretty much am!!
    WIP: Fizzicks Degree
  3. openup

openup New Member

kit as in old pc's? or learning? old pc's yes, ive opened up, upgraded etc. before, as for learning, i'm under the creating futures project.. comptia have registered me with a learning provider via the web, its a log in and view videos, little tests under each cat are part of it. theres also additional learning courseware but its recommended to complete the videos first then go over the extra bits they have sent me.

I keep telling myself exactly that... theres no other path but I'm finding it hard to put individual bits of information into my head like each processor type, ram, etc. I'm kind of thinking whether or not this is the right path for me, this knowledge should go straight into my head, I'm failing on basic stuff where as if you stuck me in front of a pc with a problem I'd probably be able to get it sorted, tell you whats up.

4. cisco lab rat

cisco lab rat Megabyte Poster

How long have you been plugging away?, having the kit will always help.

When ever I need to learn a new topic I find making flash cards really helps retention. Down at smiths they sell a pack of index cards. I write the questions on the front and answers on the back and all day long I review them. It really does help. Also I would recommend books written by Tony Buzan regarding how to improve the memory and retaintion, I have read a few of his books and they do work.

The chaps here will all have their own revision methods.

Certifications: Yes I pretty much am!!
    WIP: Fizzicks Degree
  5. openup

openup New Member

I started the course at the start of March. I've been messing with pc's for atleast 6-7years now. I'll check out Tony Buzans book, thank you.

6. Apoc220

Apoc220 Byte Poster

It's very helpful to take notes that you can review and read. That way you're triggering different senses in the different ways that you'll take the material in. You'll be learning from the video and as you take notes you're re-enforcing the material. Also get your hands on some practice tests so you can see what your strengths and weaknesses are in preperation for the test. I can't stress enough the importance of notes, though. You don't have to take notes on everything, but at the very least you should be jotting down things that you feel you will need to review in order to let them sink in. Just keep plugging away and you'll do fine.

Edit: I've heard a lot of great things about professor messer and his materials. Best of all, most of it is free (if not all). Check it out if you feel like you need a different perspective on something. http://www.professormesser.com/

Certifications: MCDST
    WIP: 70-680
  7. openup

openup New Member

ok, thanks mate.

question regarding the exam, should I book it now? or book it in May? my deadline is the end of May. I'm just asking as I don't want to be ready for the exam and I'm not able to book a date within the deadline. Also, I think I only get one attempt at the exam as part of this creating futures program, I'm not sure though, can someone please advise.

8. steve_p1981

steve_p1981 Byte Poster

i'm kind of in the same boat. I have given myself a time table and i have my essentials exam next week. I have found that if you was to ask me what i just read, literally 10 mins after i had read it, i would give a vague answer but then if i was asked a specific question a little later then i know the answer most of the time. Every one takes in information at a different rate. are you able to take the cat questions at a later time? i find this helps as my brain absorbs the information slowly ( as if running in the back ground while i'm doing other things). i find if you're tired or stressed when you try and learn, it never stays in. try and learn when you are compus mentus and it'll be alot easier. don't give up, give yourself a positive reason (that means something to you personally like getting a better job to support your family or what ever) you'll be suprised what a kick that can give you.

Certifications: A+ 220-701 and 220-702
    WIP: none at current but poss 70-680 soon
  9. alexdc12

alexdc12 Kilobyte Poster

keep at it im sure youll be fine!

Certifications: GNVQ Advanced IT, CompTIA A+, CompTIA N+, 70-680
    WIP: 70-685, ITIL v3 Foundation
  10. Apoc220

Apoc220 Byte Poster

That's really something that only you can answer. It really depends on how quick you take in the materials, in all honesty. If you have until end of may, and you only get one shot at taking the exam, then I would suggest you try and get something as close to the deadline as possible, in order to allow you enough time to take in all the information. Everyone studies at different rates, so take this as a grain of salt. You should be able to reschedule your exam, if needed. So if you feel you're ready at an earlier time then you can reschedule in order to prevent yourself from having to wait longer than necessary to take the exam. Hope this helps.

Certifications: MCDST
    WIP: 70-680
  11. veloce

veloce Byte Poster

+1

this.

I found taking notes for the key concepts in a chapter helpful. After each study session (usually 2-3 hours) I would reveiew my notes before bedtime, helping the info to stick.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: BSc Hons Computing & IT
  12. openup

openup New Member

thanks for the advice, much appreciated. I went and got some note cards and found a book at the library on different ways to get knowledge into my head. I also found out via my learning provider that I have an option of two sets of vouchers for the test so I will have an option to retake an exam should I fail. The deadline is the first week of June not the end of May and it will take my provider up to 3 weeks to get the exam vouchers to me so should I now be aiming to sit my exam the first week of May?