Going it alone - advertising your services

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by jodsclass, Mar 30, 2006.

1. jodsclass

jodsclass Byte Poster

Hi everyone. Just curious if anyone has managed to successfuly work for themselves in a pc technicain role? Im thinking along the lines of PC builds, maintenance, upgrades etc? I have been building systems for friends, family and by word of mouth for years but never anything serious. Maybe building 12 systems a year for small gains. Just wondering if it is a viable option to set yourself up as a technician, maybe take out an ad and get work servicing and upgrading peoples PC's like that. It may be a decent option when I graduate to fund some more certs and keep the bailiffs from knocking on the door and taking my wife.

Would be nice to work for ones self, and may be a nice little earner. Anyone successfully done this or am I living a pipe dream?

Jodsclass

Certifications: BSc IT & Web Development
    WIP: MSc Advanced Computing, Oracle Cert
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

That a good thing or a bad thing? :twisted:

3. jodsclass

jodsclass Byte Poster

erm, No comment, She might see the rss feed :P

Jodsclass

4. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

well, it can work, but it depends on what services you are offering, and what you expect from it.
    if it is something that you want to do on the side, then it will be easier, because there is less pressure. but if your entire livelihood depends on it, then it gets more difficult. don't think it will be a nine to five job. this can absorb your whole life. you will have to advertise, constantly trying to find new clients, meet with potential clients, do all the paperwork, find suppliers, negotiate contracts, etc. some people have trouble enough finding one job, let alone multiple jobs, even if they are only parttime.
    also keep in mind that installing and fixing pc's for individuals is usually a one-time thing. unless they are lining up, these are typically not the sort of clients that will help you pay the bills.

some of our members here are successfully self-employed. i'm sure they can give you a better idea of what is involved.

5. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

The G/f brother did this. He started making Pcs and repairing them from the garage for people he knew... Then wby word of mouth he got more work.. Now he runs his own shop in the high street. He has a partner who helped put up the money for the shop and they both work long hours.. its a lot of hard work and they are only just breaking even..

There is a lot of competition out there in this field as so many amatuers who have built their own pc but havent much experience think they can make a living like this. Even amongst those who do have the experience or qualifications its still hard to get work in a small town who might have 4 or 5 PC technicians advertising in th elocal paper for work....

You'd need to do something special to make you stnad out from the rest.. something to say your better and worth using otherwise your gonna find it hard. I tried this years ago but found that when i started there were others who had the same idea at aroun dthe same time. With nothing to mark me out all i got were friends and family wanting me to do thiers cheap... and you can only discount so much!

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  6. jodsclass

jodsclass Byte Poster

To true, thanks for the advice guys. It will only be a side project. My wife bring sin a nice salary so it will just be to tide me over whilst I look for work. Its either that or work in a non it job :shudders:

Cheers

Jodsclass

7. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

Do it for the experience if nothing else.

I worked for an outsourcing company a while back and some of our clients were very small single person businesses and some home users.

They can be a demanding bunch and I learnt more about customer service and people skills than I ever have in a large office.

It's good for the CV as well to have a diversity of the size of organisation you've worked for.

Experience is experience right?

If you're not too fussed about making it pay your bills and you can afford to why not seek out your competition and ask them if they need any help?

Certifications: MCP (NT4) CCNA
    WIP: 70-669, Learning MSI packaging
  8. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Does anyone know the process for submitting money earnt (if any :biggrin ) to the tax people? Assuming you have a PAYE job already.....

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  9. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

You ask for and fill in a self-assesment form. One of the most fiendishly complicated forms it has been my displeasure to fill-in.

(This is assuming that PAYE is your major income).

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  10. Boycie
    Honorary Member

oh, as clear as mud then!
    Just had a look on the Inland Revenue site and come across the said form. So what about registering a business name? Is it only a Limited company that has to be registered with Companies house?

11. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Ah - if you are going to be a trader, rather than just earning a bit on the side then that is outside my experience.

I hope some others will be able to leap in here!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  12. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

You can register a company name with companies house for about £25 I think. It doesn't have to be a Limited company, you can be a sole trader if you like. What registering the name does is means that you have the right to trade under that name, and by law because you are the holder of the name others can't use it. At least thats what I've been led to believe.

8)

13. Boycie
    Honorary Member

So for that fee no-one can trade using your name? Makes sense.....