Going for CCDA

Discussion in 'Design' started by mattwest, Nov 5, 2006.

1. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

Hey guys,

Well i've been in London all week on the Cisco Design course so i'm going to take the CCDA exam at the end of the week.

Somehow i dont think i'll be seeing the sunlight much this week! :blink

Certifications: See my signature...
    WIP: Maybe re-certify my CCNA
  2. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Good luck on the exam, I am sure you'll do well.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  3. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

mattwest,

Good luck with your studies. Good luck on the exam.

I used to be CCDA certified. I also used to be CCNA certified too. I'm willing to help.

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  4. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

CCDA - also known as 'welcome to Core/Access/Distribution hell'

:D

I was tempted to do this a few years back (while my CCNA was still valid) but, since I've never really worked in network design, i couldn't justify it.

Good luck fella!

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  5. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

Well i suppose i had better get some last minute cramming in before my "Access/Distrubtion/Core Layer" hell begins...

If only damn users would stop calling me i could get some done!

Off for the exam about 11.45, exam at 1.15pm. Oh the joy! :twisted:

6. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

So how did you get on then Matt?

7. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

Hi Si,

Good news is that i passed the CCDA exam on Friday so i'm pleased with the result.

Required to pass was 825 and i got 850 but a pass is a pass and i'm just glad i dont have to retake it.

51 questions in all although there were 4 or 5 questions which each had 3, 4 or 5 sub questions. A bit cheeky i feel! 8)

Anyway i'll have a quick break and then going to look at wireless and the CWNA. I did the wireless course last year but never got the chance to study for the exam. Although i'm not a great fan of all that maths involved with calculating decibells etc.

Here goes! :eek:

8. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Well done Matt, you are the man 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Congrats!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Nice one Matt! :biggrin

11. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

Thanks guys... :D

If anyone in the future wants any advice on CCDA feel free to give me a shout as i'm in fortunate position of having done the official course and the exam... :blink

12. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Congrats fella. I'd like to take a peek at the CCDA - I've still got the coursebook sitting at home and dig it out when I'm feeling particularly adventurous, but I don't really work in a 'proper' networking role, so can't really justify it.

Out of interest, how much of the exam was scenario-based and how much was CLI-based or multiple choice? Also, were there a lot of WAN questions?

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  13. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Congrats Matt! :thumbleft

Did you do the CCDA because of job requirements or just to gain knowledge?

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  14. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

Hi guys,

I've been interested in the design aspect of networks for a while now and like others i couldn't really justify the time studying (or i was too lazy!).

But i do kinda believe that if your going to be in IT and work with networks whether thats switches, routers and even servers that you should have a grasp of the fundemental design aspects of a network.

Also our company will soon moving out of our building and a new buliding is being built which will have a new network throughout and is aimed at centralising all of our offices, so at some point i may be involved with planning the new design and any knowledge i can get the better.

As for the exam it was in Cisco's new design format. You couldn't go back and review questions once you'd gone past them but for majority they were multiple choice and drag and drop.

As the exam was on design fundementals rather than router config there weren't and CLI based questions, which i can tell you i was releaved about..!

As for content there was a fair bit on planning (Access, Distribution and Core Layers and also Voice Over IP not to mention questions on "Business" and "Technical" Constraints and Goals which i found the hardest being from a more technical background.

I think all in all it was a good course but in some respects alot of it was common sense (especially the security side).

Anyway thats about all i can remember!! :D

15. NetEyeBall

NetEyeBall Kilobyte Poster

Congrats!

Certifications: CCNA, A+, N+, MCSE 4.0, CCA
    WIP: CCDA, CCNP, Cisco Firewall
  16. Ty

Ty New Member

Matt,

I took the CCDA exam last week and got 800 which meant I failed, I wonder what materials you used for preparation, I used the ciscopress CCDA book and it doesn't seem to cover everything. Can anyone help as to what the best materials to use are.

Thanks

17. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Congrats Matt and thanks for the great in dept feedback.:D So I take it you work predominantly with cisco stuff?

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell