Going back to previous employer

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Nyx, Jul 23, 2018.

1. Nyx

Nyx Byte Poster

Hi all,

Have you ever done this?

I'm considering it at the moment, switched jobs for a big payrise but not really enjoying the new place.

I know the advice is to never accept the counter offer when leaving (didn't) and leaving kills trust an employer has in employee. I had my reasons to leave besides money, but looking back they don't seem that serious. As they say grass is always greener...

What do you think?

2. nisseki

nisseki Byte Poster

I would never go back to my previous employer! Pay was rubbish and office politics was really bad.

I don't mind going back to a software house that I used to work at if that had any more techical roles available and I wouldn't mind coming back to my current place if they also had any technical roles.

3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Don’t see why not if you left on good terms. I kept in contact with a few people that left the company I work for – when new roles came up I contacted them and a couple of guys came back.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

I'd go back if I left on good terms and if it offered me something I wanted like a promotion or pay. One thing I'd say that is important to consider however is, why did you leave in the first place. Have a think and check that there wasn't something impacting you or your work life balance

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  5. Nyx

Nyx Byte Poster

Thanks - I left on good terms, it's just a difficult decision. New place is 10x bigger, global and (in theory) great prospect long term. Kind of feeling I'm running away from the challenge. Don't want to say too much anyway so I can't draw a clear picture for you.

Inclined to go back however will see what the old place can offer - might not be what I would be happy with...

6. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

We have an open return door policy at our place, as long as you've left in good standing you're always welcomed back.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA