god dam it

Discussion in 'Network+' started by greenbrucelee, Feb 11, 2010.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

My new employer says at somepoint he wants men to do CCENT but he wants me get the new Network + exam first.

He knows I already have the old Network +

Do you lot think I will have to buy new books or could I get away with using the old books?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. j1mgg

j1mgg Kilobyte Poster

Is there not a bridge exam you could do?

Why does he want you to do the new one anyway, is there that big of a difference in the 2?, and the new book is only £20 anyway.

Certifications: Comptia A+, ITIL V3 Foundation, MCDST, 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: 70-291, security+ and SSCP
  3. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Sorry to hear GBL. Looks like N+ back in WIP for ya

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  4. greenbrucelee

I am not sure why he just mumbled something about being upto date, I tried to point out that the old exam actually contains more networking technology than the new one (new one doesn't inlcude appletalk and esx) but he said he wants me to do it before I do CCENT.

5. greenbrucelee

yeah better change it

6. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

How much have the objectives changed?

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  7. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  8. greenbrucelee

I havent really read them in full to be honest, but to me it looks like it has been dumbed down since it seems to purely focus on TCP/IP and not any other form of networking. I do know that pass mark is now 700 instead of 545.

9. greenbrucelee

Cheers for that Simon I will ask if he will let me do the bridge exam

10. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

If he wants you to stay current then the bridging exam should cover it, I would argue the case if he says it doesn't (and I would also start asking questions about why, after all this is something that CompTIA is allowing N+ 2005 people to do).

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  11. greenbrucelee

he recokons that if I do the current version then it will help me with CCENT although I do not see the logic in doing it.

12. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

I started studying the old N+ just before it was withdrawn :dry

The major differences are the removal of older technologies (appletalk etc) and heavier focus on things like IPv6 and Wireless networks etc.

Shouldn't be too difficult for you to knock it out in a couple of weeks and get onto the real work.

Oh and tell your boss hes a bell end.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  13. greenbrucelee

Only been there before crimbo, can't call him that yet.

I'll get hold of Mike Meyer's new passport book for it hopefully that'll be all I need.

14. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Yeah, it's a drag to have to recertify, but you know, it really won't be difficult. After all, you've probably got 90% of it done. Just skim the new Network+ study guide (hopefully purchased by your employer), hit a Network+ practice exam (hopefully purchased by your employer), and then go out and take the real thing (hopefully, purchased by... you guessed it...).

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  15. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Is he paying? If so then why not...

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  16. greenbrucelee

I have to get the study materials myself but he says he will meet the cost of the exam which I thinks a but pants.

I'm gonna get the passport book hopefully that'll be enough. Not sure if I'll buy a practice exam unless Boson do one for free :D hint hint :D

17. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

I'd tell my employer to "fly-off" somewhere - so you've spent your time out-of-hours working for a certificate, and now he wants you to re-do the entire thing just because he wants you to?

I'd ask for exactly the amount of time off from work in lieu that it takes you to waste your time to re-do it. Are they making you do it out of hours? If so, working time directive comes into play.

Will he be asking you to do the A+ and S+ again as well - it is a valid question as either will be updated at some point. Sounds like a bit of pointless hoop jumping to me. Also, what happens if you have decided that your time outside of work is better spent on studying something else, non-IT for example, is he suggesting that your life should be put on the backburner for little benefit?

I'm all for playing ball with the boss and company, and I'm also very enthuased about Qs' employer by challenging him to get his MCSE before the pay review - an absolute benefit to him and the company - but I'm afraid your efforts won't give you much reward either way.

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  18. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

I'd definitely be telling him to sit on it and swivel - unless you have time and money to "waste".

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  19. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Depends on how quickly you have to get Network+ certified... hint hint. :D

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  20. greenbrucelee

I want to get it out of the way by end of next month hopefully.