G'Morning..

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by JB1989, Nov 19, 2012.

1. JB1989

JB1989 Bit Poster

Hi everyone,

New chap here so thought i'd say hi. Been browsing the forum and plenty of great advice which ive already taken on board, if possible i'd like some personal guidance on what route I should take.

A bit about me and my background in IT;

I'm from Bedfordshire (England!), just turned 23 years old earlier this month and been working in IT since leaving school. I didn't do great at school, not because i'm "stupid", mainly just because I didn't put the effort in, something I regret as I only left with 4 GCSE's at C grade.

My first job was at a PC World store (yep, I know! Gotta start somewhere though!) didn't have a huge knowledge of computers but had done some basic software bits and pieces on my home PC. Started off as a part time sales advisor, moving onto a senior full time sales advisor before being offered a role as an in-store technician. This role was mostly software installs, system recoveries, virus removal and basic hardware replacement. Although quite basic jobs, it was my first real hands on experience of IT support and I learnt quite a lot.

After working there for a whilst I was offered a role as a field engineer for DSGi (which PC World is part of) and I took this offer up. Again, being more hands on than previously experienced I learnt a good amount, most of the work was still basic e.g. out of around 6-10 jobs a day, 4 would be PSU replacements, 1 motherboard replacement, 2 home wireless router setups, nothing more in depth than that usually, but being in customers homes and under a bit of pressure helped not only develop the basic skills, but also customer service.

The company then changed and the "tech guys" were merged with delivery drivers and it wasn't for me, PC work was limited and we were mostly delivering washing machines instead of repairing PCs!

I moved on as that role wasn't for me, and went to a small company who provided digital equipment to the veterinary marjet, ultrasound machines, x-ray machines etc. I was taken on as the sole IT Technician as most of this equipment was PC based, so any issues that came up I would be the point of contact. The role itself was similar to the previous and most of the jobs were basic, although I also got involved with a bit more networking and setting up shared folders for document sharing.

I was in that job for approx 19 months and i've just started my new role under a month ago. I'm now working for a mid-sized business in there IT Support department alongside 3 others. I have much more exposure to different hardware and software now, with offices all over the country logging into servers based here in the head office, field sales reps using laptops with office 365 configured for e-mails, active directory, exchange console, sage 1000 and also VMWare.

I've got a lot to learn here and i'm gradually picking it all up, I must admit I thought Active Directory was more difficult to learn than it is!

My question really is, from where I am now, what certs would you suggest so I can get some qualifications to my name as well as the experience. In the future I guess i'd like to be in a more senior role such as 3rd line support. I guess A+ would be an ideal starting point but considering my experience already, i'm not sure if I should aim slightly higher than this as i've unfortunately not got money to burn on numerous exams!

I'd be willing to attend a course also rather than just self study if this is recommended.

Thanks in advance, sorry if i've gone on a bit!

2. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

Start on one of the Microsoft tracks, I would. The A+ is probably going to be a bit basic.

There are tonnes out there, ranging from implementing Office 365 to Windows 7 Installation (ImageX, DISM and that)

A lot of people do the 70-680 and 70-685 which would make you a certified Destkop Support Tech for Windows 7. There's a fair bit of server stuff in it. I don't see a huge adoption of Windows 8, so it's here to stay for a while.

3. JB1989

JB1989 Bit Poster

Thanks mate - i'll take a look. Do you suggest self study? If so, what would you expect to pay for them two exams?

Thanks.

4. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

Yeah, self study is very doable.

The Don Poulton book is the best IMHO for the 680, and the Microsoft Press book is ok for the 685.

Vouchers for the exams on eBay are ~65 sheets, and the books are about £25-£35 each

5. jvanassen

jvanassen Kilobyte Poster

Going by the amount of experience you have and what was included in the version of the A+ exam that I did I wouldn't bother with that as already said by ade1982. Think youl find it really boring and youl just be reading stuff you already know. Id move onto something a little more challenging where youl actually learn stuff.

Considering how much desktop support stuff you've done personally id try and do something Networking wise to up your knowledge on that side of things. The Network+ might be a good shout.

Certifications: CompTIA A+, Network+, CCENT
    WIP: ICND2 200-101
  6. JB1989

JB1989 Bit Poster

Thanks for both your replies, I must admit i'm possibly siding towards N+ as I think i'll get that under my belt quicker than a Microsoft qualification, and hopefully once I get the first i'll go on a roll!

Can you confirm that N10-005 is the current exam? Also for self study will the professor messer site be enough or is there a book you would suggest purchasing?

Thanks again.

7. jvanassen

jvanassen Kilobyte Poster

I wouldn't just use professor messer videos although they are brilliant. I would also purchase Mike Meyers book, which i highly recommend. I did the N10-004 if i remember rightly and learnt loads from it and Mike Meyers book was a big help alongside videos.

CompTIA Network+ Certification

This link confirms that N10-005 is the most recent exam version. I think your picking the right option as by the sounds of all the desktop support stuff youve done it will do you some good to learn some networking.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
    Certifications: CompTIA A+, Network+, CCENT
    WIP: ICND2 200-101
  8. JB1989

JB1989 Bit Poster

Hi guys,

Sorry to bump an old topic! Now i've settled into my job role a bit more i'm going to start my certification route, previously I was likely to go ahead and start on the Network+, but where i'm working in a Microsoft environment i'm also considering doing the Windows Server Administration Fundamentals (98-365/366/367) certification and the MCITP (70-680 and 70-685) as mentioned above. In terms of wanting to self study and keep costs as low as possible, can anyone suggest what would be more "ideal"? Also if I was to complete the MCITP, what would be the next step?

Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Just as a slight side track i've also seen that the MCSA might be worth doing instead of CompTIA but before MCITP? Agh so many options!

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  9. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Greetings and welcome to CertForums, good to see you here. :)

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
    JB1989 likes this.
  10. JB1989

JB1989 Bit Poster

Cheers buddy.

11. JB1989

JB1989 Bit Poster

Sorry for the bump on this topic, but i've decided I want to become MCITP certified first off just to get a qualification alongside my desktop support experience. I'm going to start off with the 70-685 and then the 70-680. Once I have passed these, would it be suggested that I go for the 70-686?

Also finally, i've noticed that the retirement date for these exams are January 31, 2014. I'm hoping it shouldn't take me that long to get them! But if I, for example, don't feel ready to take the exams until November/December, are they still the exams to take or should I just wait until the new ones are released?

Sorry if these are stupid questions, been doing so much research into different routes to take!

12. JB1989

JB1989 Bit Poster

Another cheeky bump..

- - - Updated - - -

I've also been told elsewhere to now look at doing my MCSA instead of MCITP? Agh this is confusing stuff, so many routes!

13. Rockerfella

Rockerfella Bit Poster

Welcome matey :)