Glasgow bombing

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Raffaz, Jun 30, 2007.

1. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Anyone watching news 24, theres been an explosion at Glasgow airport, apparently terrorists, although that hasnt been confirmed.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Drove past it a couple of hours ago as well! :blink

M8 is down to one lane and a few peeps seem to be trying to get to Edinburgh for flights.

Wonder what happened, low speed that part of the road so could be deliberate.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

According to eye witnesses it was deliberate. One of the witnesses even punched one of the possible terrorists.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  4. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

They said they have arrested 4 people and took some gas cannisters from the burning Land rover:blink

I think they should hang the B@stards

All those people stranded at the airport:(

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  5. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/6257194.stm

My sympathies go to all those in and around the area being affected by this.

I know now isn't the time for speculation, but I didn't think Scotland had been described or included when talk about terrorist attacks were bandied around.

Starter for ten: where is Gordon Brown from? Do you think it is a coincidence?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  6. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Good point.

Though I think it's more likely to be the fact that there are a lot of 'radical islamists' (alright, let's call them for what they are - nut nuts) living in Glasgow. Seriously - it is a hotbed of religious fundamentalism. people think the bigotry there is just confined to the Catholic/Protestant thing, but it isn't - there are a LOT of fundamentalist muslims living there. Don't want to jump the gun on this, but it looks very much to me like a couple of random loons have seen what went on yesterday in London and been (ahem) 'inspired' by it.

Still, with it being Scotland you can always rely on a bit more spunk than the average Londoner might come up with faced with a similar situation. Apparently, a member of the public 'knocked one of the men to the floor'. That's the English translation for "Beat the pish outay him" :biggrin

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  7. feely

feely Bit Poster

There is no evidence, as yet, that this was a terrorist attack. Whats to say that it wasn't a tragic accident.

Plus, I love the reactions - Someone, on the ground on fire is 'fighting' with the police. Is it not possible that the person was freaking out because, you know, they are on fire?

Could well have been an attack, but lets not condem these people until that is figured out.

Certifications: HND Elect & Electronic Engineering
    WIP: A+, Network+ & BSc in Physics
  8. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  9. Sparky

Having spent the last few hours in Glasgow boozing I am well pi55ed off that this event happened today. This is based on what happened in London and Glasgow airport should have been on *full* alert!

At least no-one was hurt. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  10. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

A freak accident??? :ohmy :blink

Yes - a eye witness account on the scene said one of them poured petrol over himself then started pour it around the car before being wrestle to the ground by some of the members public. Hmmmm yes I can see why you think that was accident I mean most people do that by accident(monkey removes his sarcasm hat) :twisted: :p

11. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

A tragic but freak accident:-

"Witness Jackie Kennedy told the BBC that after the crash, a passenger in the Jeep doused himself with fuel from a can and ignited it, then got out of the vehicle. Airport police used fire extinguishers on him, and he fell to the ground, she said.

"I realized that this was obviously deliberately done -- the fact that the guy was in flames and seemed to be enjoying himself, even smiling," Kennedy told the BBC."

Source 8)

12. feely

feely Bit Poster

well, I never read or heard those reports. But I didn't say it was definitely an accident. The point I was trying to make was, until it is known what happened, lets not jump to conclusions. All the news reports I seen never said anything about it been pre-planned, but all implyed that it was a terrorist attack.

13. Headache

Headache Gigabyte Poster

Fact: It WAS a terrorist attack

Highly probable: It was an Islamist terror attack. One of the eyewitneses during the Glasgow attack said on CNN that one of the suspects was repeatedly shouting the name of their God whilst scuffling with the Police.

Fact: Terrorist attacks are never spontaneous or accidental. All terrorist actions are planned in advance before execution.

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  14. feely

feely Bit Poster

Im sorry, where in anything I wrote did I say this wasn't an attack? Again, the point I was trying to make at the time (a time when I didn't know anything about suicide belts I might add) was lets not jump to conclusions. Thats how things get out of hand.

Yes - it was a terrorist attack. It was stopped, and the people have been arrested. Everyone gets a big slap on the back.

But once again, I wasn't denying it was a terrorist attack, I was just trying to say that a bit of calm is a good thing.

15. Sparky

The first time I saw this on the news I didn’t think it was an accident. I know I shouldn’t jump to conclusions but the road outside Glasgow airport has a max speed limit of 20 mph or something like that that. Also it is restricted to taxis and buses so there was no reason for a car\jeep to be there.

Glad some guy decked the driver when he bailed out, might have stopped him doing some more damage. 8)

16. feely

feely Bit Poster

You know the place, so you had a better idea of what could/couldn't be done. So thats cool.

I just hate jumping right in and saying "Oh, this group did it" before I know, you know :)

Plus, with the history of my country, jumping to conclusions has tended to get more people killed, which I guess is also why I wait and see lol.

Gotta say, I never really figured this type of topic on a IT message board. I love it! lol

17. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Everyone, please stop!

Quit beating the "assumption" issue into the ground. It's over. Everybody go to their corners and cool off. People are being maimed and murdered out there. There's no point in arguing amongst ourselves.

Pax.

18. Sparky

Yeah, thats a fair point mate 8)

19. feely

feely Bit Poster

Im sorry if I gave the impression that I was pissed off etc. I wasn't...I just think this type of discussion is fun lol.

Sorry if I did annoy anyone :)

Sean

20. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Not focused just on you, feely. Maybe I read it wrong, but it seemed that the conversation was getting a bit heated. I wanted it to cool off. Sorry if I overreacted.