Getting started

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by salsadancer, Sep 14, 2006.

1. salsadancer

salsadancer New Member

Hi,

I'm about to start studying for a CCNA. The books I've ordered (the Sybex one and 'Cisco: A Beginner's Guide') should be delievered tomorrow.

I'm keen to buy some Cisco hardware and start building a home lab. I've found some web pages about setting up a CCNA home lab, and they recommend large configurations with half a dozen routers and a couple of switches. This seems like overkill for a beginner, and I'd like to buy the equipment as and when I need it. What do you suggest I buy to start off with?

Thanks,

Rob

WIP: CCNA
  2. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Welcome to CF...

Im not into Cisco stuff, but what i gather there are some ebay kits for a couple of hundred pounds which are meant to be the dogs *nuts*..

here <-clickable

3. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

If you work for a large enough company, you could pester the IT department for a lend of some old stuff. We've got a cupboard full of decommissioned Cisco gear that I'll be "requisitioning" when I start my CCNA.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  4. Spice_Weasel

Spice_Weasel Kilobyte Poster

To start with a pair of 2501 routers (or better) is all you need. You can always get more equipment later. Of course, if you see a good deal on a bunch of equipment that would be great, but if money is tight a pair of older routers will let you practise almost all of what you need.

2 x 2501 is a good start. If you can get three 2501 routers (and don't forget cables) is even better as then you can work with frame relay at home, which is handy, and do more routing exercises, but two routers will get you started.

Spice_Weasel

Certifications: CCNA, CCNP, CCIP, JNCIA-ER, JNCIS-ER,MCP
    WIP: CCIE