Getting started with VMware Certifications

Discussion in 'VMware Certifications' started by Boxrick, Dec 21, 2012.

1. Boxrick

Boxrick Bit Poster

Over the past 12 months my job has involved more and more virtualisation and I am looking to get certified and gain some extra knowledge and am looking at doing a VMware related course.

Simply put what should I be looking at taking ( VCP 510? ) in addition to this is there anything to look out for.

I appreciate this is fairly easily accessible knowledge but I am just looking for a quick answer along with peoples experiences and perhaps estimated time frame baring in mind it is a major part of my job now.

2. scott28tt

scott28tt Byte Poster

That's the usual starting point, unless you work for a VMware partner.

Official page is here: VCP-Datacenter Virtualization

Some useful info and links on my blog: VMware Training and Certification

Certifications: VCP2, VCP3, VCP4, VCP5, VCAP4-DCA, VCI, MCSE (NT-2003)
  3. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

You need to attend an approved course and then sit and pass the exam. Hands on is key because the courses don't cover 100% of the exam requirements.

The VCP Blueprint is definitely your friend as well.

Have a look at a couple of the books around (Scott Lowes Mastering vSphere 5 and the VMware Press Certification book) for some more insight.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  4. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Setup a test lab at home and start practicing more of what you read from the official blue print. I would also highly recommend the trainsignal CBT videos as well.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  5. Beerbaron

Beerbaron Megabyte Poster

Although I used VMware vSphere at work I still found it easier to setup my own lab at home and have a play before I attended the course.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), MSc, ITIL v3F, MCP, MCDST, MCITP: edst7, MCTS, MCSA: Server 2003, MCSA: Windows 7, N+, NVQ IT lvl 3, MCSA Windows 7, VCP5, CCENT, CEH
    WIP: CISSP
  6. Boxrick

Boxrick Bit Poster

I have a N40L sat at home with ESXI 5.0 currently installed, should do for my lab I guess. May even use an extra spare system for it since I don't want to ruin my backups machine.

Cheers for the guidance btw! Much appreciated!

7. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I would suggest installing 5.1 instead of 5.0, more specifically getting used to the SSO installation that's required with 5.1

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA