Getting sick

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by greenbrucelee, Apr 17, 2008.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

So over that last couple of days I have had sarcastic comments from a member of the forum from replies I had made and also about my post count.

I have also had comments made over that last couple of months from other members too.

I have been a member just over a year but it seems to me that certain members don't like newbies with opinions or advice of their own because I don't work in the IT sector, so I must not know anything about it.

I thought the point of a forum was to participate and especially a forum like this also to give advice if possible, well maybe if my advice & opinions aren't welcome maybe I won't bother.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. DevilsAdvocate

DevilsAdvocate Bit Poster

Hi GBL,

I wouldn't take it to heart mate, it's only the Internet after all. I've not been a member here for very long but have always found the posts of yours that I read to be very useful and informative. 8)

Rob.

Certifications: CCENT
    WIP: CCNA, MCSE, Server+
  3. Crito

Crito Banned

One of Bruce Lee's legs was shorter than the other and he was near sighted. The reason he always kicked butt is because he disguised his own weaknesses while taking full advantage of the weaknesses he saw in others.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: none
  4. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Hmm, I had noticed an increase lately in office politics on this forum. Get to a calm zen place and ignore it my friend.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  5. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Utter bullsh*t. what a load of twaddle.

Firstly, since you make a point of complaining, let make sure its in context shall we? The comment about your post count (from me I might add) came from [url="http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=24592]here[/url]. Firstly, its a post in Just for Laughs. Secondly, it comments on multiple people. Its tongue in cheek. If i wanted to call you a post-whore f*cktard, id just come out and say it, and it would be in the lounge, for off topic rants/discussions. I dont, so its not. Right? Right!

For the record, I dont have a single - not one single issue with your posts to date. Whilst you may not have the knowledge some people on the forum have (and I in no way count myself in that list I might add), you always approach problems in a methodical manner, and your advice usually guides people to consider and attempt things they haven't considered yet. Sometimes it leads to the solution, sometimes it just serves to clarify the problem at hand. If you want to leave, by all means go ahead and do so, no-one here can stop you.

Had enough ego stroking now? If not, tough sh*t, because I'm not offering any more. Get a bloody grip.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  6. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

keep posting mate.

if your arguments are valid ones then they will be backed up. if not then you will be told! (and you will learn!) :biggrin

7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Don't worry about it, mate. Continue to help people, and let that be its own reward. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Later Dude :devilflam

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  9. IThurts

IThurts Kilobyte Poster

Some people on here i have noticed are a bit full of it and themselves GBL, at the end of the day, they mean nothing to you and will never mean anything to you or will never know how much you know/understand about IT concepts, so my advice would be to ignore the people that are hostile. I know its hard if they carry on and on and on about it, but really.....who cares? At the end of it all, some people think they are gods gift and will continue to think so, internet tough guys i think is the term. I acknowledge there are some hostile tough guys that think they deserve some sort of praise because they have been here fo 5 years and have a bajillion posts, but really...i think it should be known..you wont get any extra love/respect from me because of that.

Just move on with it, because its really.......really not worth it. If THIS is making you "sick" then really you should prob get a hobby or something, because if thats the only thing you have to worry about....somethings not right...:blink Like someone else said..noone would care if you left because noone cares about you, or anyone else they have comms with here. So look at it from that standpoint and you wont care either.

Forget about it.:D Come on man...your 33!!!

Certifications: BTEC national Diploma Computer Studies
    WIP: See Sig
  10. Ozzy2k7

Ozzy2k7 Nibble Poster

Its what makes good discussions, if everyone said the same things it would make for boring reading,

Keep up the posts

WIP: A+ Network+
  11. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

This is getting out of hand.

I can count the number of truly nasty posts I've seen on this forum on the fingers of one knee. Some of the forums I frequent are truly naughty sometimes - there isn't anything like that going on here.

All of you chill the **** out.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  12. disarm

disarm Byte Poster

Too much forums can have a negative effect, it's good to unplug and do something else from time to time.

13. greenbrucelee

Do I mention you post today, no I don't I was referring to another member actually so don't give me that **** this member knows who he is.

But the has (it seems to me) been a collective of comments just because I have posted more than the average new member.

14. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

fair enough, but you can see how it looks, posting this thread mere moments after the thread i made. My points do still stand though.

And yes, you do post a lot, I reckon you have one of the fastest growing post counts on the forum. you have an average of 14 posts per day - thats nearly as high as BM. You are going to get some ribbing from it, whatever the case. doesnt mean we think you are a post-whore f*cktard, its just banter.

Cant comment on anything else though.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  15. greenbrucelee

Thats why I joined

Some people don't like that though & you get castigated for it.

Actually I'm 31 and I do have plenty to do other than this place but because of the nature of my work (sometimes a lot of waiting about) I am on here more than the average person.

I joined here for advice on certifications etc and to help if possible as thats what the place is about but it seems some people don't like that from someone who has only been a member for just over a year.

16. greenbrucelee

Good point.

17. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

I think he is talking about me, I've made two or three comments over the past few days, but were really meant as tongue in cheek.

I mean no harm GBL, but I do get fed up occasionally when I see people giving out bad advice over subjects that they know nothing about. If someone doesn't know the answer, why answer as though they do, but with the wrong answer completely.

I love CF, and have been around on and off for AGES, OK, I don't get to spend as much time as I would like to but I still love it. The way you can ask a question about something and be answered with GOOD advice, the way you can have heated discussions without it boiling over into insults, the way that everyone gets on without the need for moderation.... it's pretty much all good.

But I do get very frustrated when I see people with little knowledge asking for advice and getting bad advice, and knowing that they are being led down the garden path. I have no problems with post counts or with people posting, it has nothing to do with me, but when people just post for the sake of it, or try and answer something they know nothing about I just have to sit back and wonder.

If someone asks a question, is it really a worthwhile time posting 'I know nothing about this, but here's something else entirely....'

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  18. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

Sorry GBL,

I don't think anyone could have any issues with anyone who gives good advice, regardless of how long they have been in IT, or haven't been, as long as it is good advice.

Being opinionated is almost always a good thing, but sometimes as human being we need to step back and wonder whether we actually know enough to be able to give advice on certain things.

I don't doubt that your advice has helped lots of people, I just think there is a fine line between helping and hindering sometimes.

19. greenbrucelee

Where is this bad advice I have given?

20. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

GBL, I really do not want to go through and drag stuff up, but yesterdays MSN thread is a prime example.