Getting ready for my exam end of January, but not sure about Labs?

Discussion in 'Routing & Switching' started by Beany, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Beany

Beany Bit Poster

Afternoon,

I'm currently planning on taking my exam soon and have been reading through Cisco Cert Guide, watching CBTNuggets Vids and practicing on BOSON exams.

I have set up a lab at home, with 3 routers, 2x 2811s and 1x2600 and 1 switch 2950. Whilst going through the book i test the commands in my lab. Will this be good enough for my exam preparations? Or do i need to do more lab exercises? If so, can someone forward me to some labs exercise that i can do it with my cisco kit?

Also, having several PCs/workstations attached to my switch is expensive for me. So what can i attach to my switch that can behave like a host? that can respond to a ping etc

thanks in advance

2. Wireless_Snake

Wireless_Snake Nibble Poster

Im presuming you mean your CCNA exam? Its good that you have your home lab remember that you can also use Packet Tracer as well which will help you with your switching environments. The labs on the CCNA exam are not that difficult just make sure that you know how the protocols work what needs to match for neighbors to form. A couple of good websites for labs are Free Cisco labs for CCNA, CCNP & CCIE ! (aimed at GNS3 can be a good starting point for your own home lab) and Free CCNA Workbook is also useful.

Im sure others will add more information.

Certifications: BSc (Hons) Computer Network Tech, CCNA, CCAI
    WIP: CCNP, VCP 5, SCP
  3. Beany

Beany Bit Poster

icnd1 exam

4. BraderzTheDog

BraderzTheDog Kilobyte Poster

ICND1 is more networking principals than anything.

There isn't much in terms of config you need to know (how to add a static route thats about it).

I would say make sure you understand subnetting, they should rename ICND1 to Cisco Certified Subnetting Associate ;)

Anyhoo, don't get too worried about it. Its Cisco's entry level networking exam, ensure you understand the concepts of networking. How TCP works (SYN / SYN ACK / ACK), IP subnetting, common ports and OSI model.

You will have no problems :)

Good luck.

Certifications: CCNA R&S, CCNA-SEC, CCSA, JNCIA FWV, MCITP, MCTS, MTA, A+
  5. bbel121

bbel121 Bit Poster

There is also a free CCNA study guide at freeccnastudyguide .com

6. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

And that would be your site then bbel?

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  7. bbel121

bbel121 Bit Poster

Hi Simon,

I do moderation and am affiliated with the free ccna workbook facebook page(mentioned earlier in the post) and this is a site(freeccnastudyguide which is different than the workbook site) that was recently launched (I did do some of the content creation). I did post because there was a ask for free ccna study materials and while there was mentions of labs, there was none for a free study guide. The reason we created the studyguide site is there really is no site dedicated to a full free ccna study guide. Just like there was none for a workbook before the free ccna workbook site. So hopefully it will become a useful free resource for CCNA students. I hope that is ok as it is simply a free resource and not a sales thing that was relevant to the post.