Getting off the phones, quickest route?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by millsie, Feb 20, 2011.

1. millsie

millsie Byte Poster

I've been in first line support now for a while and feel confident enough in the role and working to SLA's etc etc.

I was wondering what everyone's thoughts are how and the quickest way in IT to no longer be that person on the end of the phone that people feel they can call to get something off their chest or generally shout at because something's gone wrong!

Sometimes I feel like an agony uncle, and as I had been in customer service roles previous to IT for many years, I am getting a bit fed up now of being that person.

How long do you feel it is worth doing this for to enable a route into more technical roles that do not require you to be on the phone all day fixing? I know you have to start somewhere etc and the best thing is to get experience fixing IT issues this way, and also I know that even in more technical roles you are still dealing with customers wanting results and bosses wanting results even at 3rd line and sys admins etc. but generally it seems that at these higher levels you are just not a phone jockey!?

I know I shouldnt rush things, but I feel that if I don't get a move on, I could forever be pigeon holed into being on a helpdesk and I really have had enough of phone based jobs.

Of course, it would be best for me to get into a company first that allows me to progress or at least shadow sys or network admins, in which this current company does not have these opportunities, but I just need to know that there is light at the end of the tunnel of this neverending phone call based nightmare:twisted:

Your wisdom is greatly appreciated:)

Certifications: N+, CCNA, MCDST
    WIP: CCNP route 642-902
  2. cisco lab rat

cisco lab rat Megabyte Poster

When I was on the helpdesk having people bust my veg I made sure that the systems that I was supporting became second nature to me.

I would know the systems better than the guys in the field, I would play with the kit, all sorts of configs and senarios, post on forums, question engineers, over old faults to gain as much knowledge as possible to a point that when the field engineers could not fix the fault they would call me, and then the next logical step was for me to go to site with the engineer to assist the engineer which then simply led to me being let out on my own.

Hardwork, really hardwork and it can get some engineers backs up but hey, the bank manager wants his money at the end of the month and he does not care who you p***ed off to get the dough.

Certifications: Yes I pretty much am!!
    WIP: Fizzicks Degree
  3. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Have you spoken to your employer? Is there possibilty of promotion? Also remember it will mean your company hiring another person to do the job you are currently doing, if the money isnt there to do that then management wont rock any boats.

You have two ways to go, up in your current company, or out to another company in a more suitable role.

Remember the grass isnt always greener so make sure any potential employers fit the bill.

Otherwise be content you are currently working in IT and progressing in your skillsets, rushing up the ladder wont do you any favours in the long run if you leave gaps in your knowledge, and also in these days likely isnt possible when there are always more experienced people out there and IT becomes more mature.

Good luck though, determination to succeed always helps

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Good advice given above in both posts.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. demarrer

demarrer Byte Poster

I've found myself in a similar situation. Talking to the manager didnt work so well and I also found that working extra hard didnt help me either - I just get told "thanks", and then go back to work doing my normal job.

So, I've polished off the CV and have been applying for a new jobs. Maybe this could help you to move on if you feel you are getting nowhere fast. Kevicho is right about being detirmined - believe in your ability too.

Certifications: A+, Security +, CCNA, CCSA
    WIP: music, (dreaming of) CCIE Security :D
  6. Albert

Albert Bit Poster

Hmmm...

Sounds very similar to the kind of position I'm in right now Millsie, although I think mine is worse.

I'm based in an outsourced call centre, no technical progression because we can only do what is given by clients and no more.

Supporting an ISP, 1st line role, importance is on customer service. Don't like to boast but my excellent performance has been mentioned numerous times by managers at hitting the KPIs. Been there since Sep 2009. All for £6.50 per hour, 50p increase after 1 year.

Can't go anywhere else as I don't feel confident about having too many knowledge/skills gaps, eg. Active Directory.

Just hoping I can get somewhere after achieving the A+ but that doesn't guarantee anything either. Yet I repeatedly refuse to listen to friends and family suggestions of going into sales or other, better paid customer service roles (admin, civil service).

:rolleyes:

Last edited: Feb 21, 2011
  7. millsie

millsie Byte Poster

Fair play mate, its not great money but as they say, you have to start somewhere! I would seriously think about getting some certs, my take home is terrible but I don't plan to leave it that way, if I can prove myself by gaining the basic support experience first and proving I want to learn by getting some certs and knowing the job I do so well, then I'm sure I can up that wage bracket. Otherwise you/we may well end up having to go for the better paid rubbishy roles you speak of!

None of us want that, thats why we do this:biggrin

Don't listen to em, but do listen to this forum, the guys on here are great and have a lot of wisdom and knowledge to give! Best of luck dude8)

Certifications: N+, CCNA, MCDST
    WIP: CCNP route 642-902
  8. coolc

coolc Nibble Poster

do your mcse dude, u wil learn alot

9. BosonMichael

The more advice you give, the more convinced I am that you haven't yet worked in IT.

EDIT: Oops, forgot to add... just my opinion.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  10. BosonMichael

Press the disconnect button... mid-sentence, if you must. :twisted:

Glad to be of assistance. 8)

11. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Not the correct advice to give I'm afraid.

The MCSE is for people who are system engineers and people who have atleast 12-18months experience of supporting a 250+ user, multi server, multi site envornment.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  12. coolc

coolc Nibble Poster

yeah hehehe so true but u learn.

13. BosonMichael

True. But the certification without the experience won't help you get an upper-level job... and if you include the certification when applying for a lower-level job, you're likely to get passed over because they don't need an MCSE to do lower-level tech work. Thus, you end up being LESS attractive to employers. So the advice you're giving can end up doing more harm than good.

No advice is better than bad advice.

14. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Sometimes step sideways can get you on the right track. Maybe look for other 1st line helpdesk roles? Now you have a lot of experience it should make it a lot easier. Once you're in the new job you might have an opportunity to progress up.

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  15. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

CoolC what do you do for a living mate?

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  16. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Hustlin'

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  17. Albert

Albert Bit Poster

Thanks. The same to you too, mate. With determination and lady luck, fingers crossed we both get there eventually.

18. Albert

Albert Bit Poster

That is sound advice. Confirms the slight feeling I had but wasn't exactly sure of whether to go with that instinct or not. Will explore this further. Thanks Luke

19. BosonMichael

Absolutely this. One word of warning though: don't leave your job and then look for another one... look for another one, get an offer letter safely in your hands, and THEN put in notice.

20. loca1hero

loca1hero Byte Poster

Definitely AGREE with that. I am in the same situation, only doing this job as it is better to work then sit at home & look for jobs, I took this role knowing that it was 1st line support & phone based, only took it on as its my first job in IT, so can’t complain. I have gained a few certs but know that I can’t get the job I want straight away.. like you said ‘got to start somewhere!’, would definitely like to move on as there isn’t much of a chance of progression & I know I could put my skills better in use in practice then just learning from the books to get certified. I mean the whole point of it is to use your knowledge and skills in your job. Anyway I’m applying for other roles and planning to get to work somewhere were there’s chance to progress. Good Luck :thumbleft

Certifications: Network+ (004), MCP, see signature
    WIP: MCITP & few oths.Cisco aft sum XPri