Getting Neckache from Studying!!

Discussion in 'A+' started by Dullage, Sep 6, 2008.

1. Dullage

Dullage Byte Poster

Just finished reading the Mike Meyers AIO for the A+! I've never really been a 'Book Person' mainly because I can never seem to get comfortable when reading.

Luckily for me the Mike Meyers AIO A+ has handy PDF files of all chapters! And as I find I'm more comfortable reading from my Laptop (Or on my HDTV out of the HDMI out on my Laptop) this was a lifesaver! Shame I didn't find the CD till chapter 18!!

Don't know if this helps anyone? Ooo, and I've got my 601 on Tuesday!!

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Network +
  2. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Good luck mate for the exam :D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  3. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Chapter 18! LOL!
    Good luck mate.

4. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Good luck on the exam:thumbleft

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  5. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Just to add, most books have CD/DVDs that contains PDFs, exam questions, towards the end of the book, incase you did not realise this.

6. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

I'm doing this too for my MCDST studying. Books are so last century.

Then I can study at work too :p

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  7. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Okay if you have a power cut how are you going to read the PDFs? Books will always have their place :wink:

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  8. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Laptop battery for an hour.

Then hook up to our UPS's - they'll last a good 10+ hours by which time the power should be back up. :p

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  9. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Very good, if you are actually at work :wink:

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  10. Naive

Naive Byte Poster

Personally I'd prefer a book, .PDF is good and all but for me I like the feel of turning pages, scribbling on the book with notes (I like the smell of new books lol) It feels a lot more personal when i study from a book, call me crazy but, I feel like I'm connecting with a learning method that has been used for generations..

Men in white jackets slowly approach..

I like to keep the technical stuff technical, and the learning stuff, perso..wait, what are you do...ARGH!! put me down you ^£^&%*

... :lol:

WIP: MCDST
  11. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

I'm with Naive on this, gotta have my books. Theres something special about an actual book which isn't there in a PDF.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  12. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Although I have PDFs for many of my tech books, I prefer the real thing to the electronic version.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  13. pfairbrother

pfairbrother Bit Poster

The 'real' book is susceptible to the highlighter pen!!

Certifications: MCP (70-271)
    WIP: A+. 70-272
  14. Dullage

Dullage Byte Poster

Whoop! Wasn't too bad, the questions that through me off were the 'How many pins on a xxxxxx connector' ones, apart from that all was good :D

Gotta book my 602 now.....

15. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Congratulations. Score one for "the books". :D

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  16. Dullage

Dullage Byte Poster

Whilst I remember....Just a few things that really helped me today:

- Grab a XP or 2000 machine and locate all the main players i.e. Control Panel, Device Manager, Computer Managment etc... I did this a few hours before my test and it paid off, quit a few of the questions were 'How do you get to....'

- Arrive nice and early and do some revision in your car (Or the reception of the test center if you don't drive), this not only guaranteed I'd be there on time but all the stuff I needed to brush up on was fresh in my memory.

- Use all the time you get for the test, I sat in right to the end a revisited all of the questions more than once, I was surprised how many I changed the second time round (Also, I found some of the questions helped answer other questions??)

Hope this helps some people.

17. BosonMichael

Sorry, Dullage, their quizzes offer questions from a known braindump. Best to avoid.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  18. Dullage

Dullage Byte Poster

Ooops :oops:, didn't realise that. Hope it didn't help me too much, but then all I got from those questions was knowing what areas I was weak on and what to research more? :hhhmmm

19. BosonMichael

Well, when I looked at the A+ questions on their site, they didn't say they came from a known braindump... but the Microsoft and Cisco ones did. Better safe than sorry. :)

20. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Agreed. PDF's *might* work but it doesn't help me on the train commute home. I actually like to print PDF's so I can still read a paper product. :confused3

Yeah - I'm not the most enviroment friendly person on the planet.