Getting into IT helpdesk

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by beaumontdvd, Feb 24, 2010.

1. beaumontdvd

beaumontdvd Kilobyte Poster

Hi everyone,
    I'm really having trouble finding a helpdesk role around Basingstoke,

When I was 17 I done an apprenticeship in computing which placed me into a company, I was then incharge of downstairs IT which was basically just about 11 pc's running xp pro in a large workgroup networking the printers to that workgroup and adding them on each pc, troubleshooting pcs that would stop working and formatting the pc's to install xp. I really wanted to be upstairs with all the servers but they said I would get a chance. That never happend. After a year my role changed from IT to moving stuff around and trying to get me to upsell gas / electric to clients. This was part the reason of leaving but I did have something to gain from it as I passed level 1,2,3 in computing. During the troubleshooting I would look on the net and teach myself basic html and study for my apprenticeship. Soon after they swiched to a domain environment and I was not given any passwords once again, or any training on whats happend. I left and decided to pursue my IT career.

I then signed on with COmputrain, (you might have read my thread) Basically they sold me a course for 3 grand and the material was insufficient. I purchased extra books off amazon and studied hard myself on and off for a while. I have recently applied for a job and started on monday which is basically moving furniture around and moving it onto a van for delivery. It's really hard work but I need all the money I can get at the moment.

Sorry for the essay, I would just like to tell you all so you could advise me on what I should do because to be honest I'm baffled. I have searched for 6 monthes for a helpdesk job and not one has came up locally I have even searched in the Readng area. Should I keep going with my 270? then move to a+ and network+?

Hope someone can help, because the job I'm in at the moment will do for now but I can't do it forever as its a 6 month placement and after that I will be unemployed.

Thanks to anyone reading this,

Dave

Certifications: 070-271, 070-272, (MCDST)Level 1,2,3 NVQ
    WIP: 070-270, A+, N+, S+,MCDST 7 Upgrade
  2. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Have you got any experience in repairing PCs and laptops? See here if you have...

It will be hard to find that job. But, getting back into IT is surely the most important thing. At least then you have recent experience on your resume/CV and the likes of the job link above will help with the A+.

However, you do need to keep searching the jobsites, and get your CV into places even if they are not advertising.

You may also need to travel to that job you're looking for.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  3. beaumontdvd

Cheers for that mate, havent seen that one. I'll apply now. Just finished work now and to be honest I dont think its fair as I'm only paid £4.81 an hour 25 hours a week makes it not that much :( and to top that off it's for the council so its full of ex-criminals that are doing community service :rolleyes: After doing all this studying it just feels a shame to have this kind of job. Really put a downer on my motivation towards my 270 too.
    Thanks for finding that job mate I really appreciate it.

Dave

4. j1mgg

j1mgg Kilobyte Poster

Its just a really tough market place out there at the moment. As people have said try and get into some sort of volounteering work. You say you do 25hrs a week, so that would leave nearly 10 hours to help some local organisation upgrade computers and stuff.

I dont know if going back to do the A+ will help as you already have you MCDST and i would slow down with getting more certs as you are nearly qualified as an MCSA.

Certifications: Comptia A+, ITIL V3 Foundation, MCDST, 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: 70-291, security+ and SSCP
  5. beaumontdvd

Yeah, I know quite abit about computers but I just cant seem to break into IT. I have tried volunterring but nowhere needs anyone, even at the place I am at now there pcs are managed by contractors from the council. So it's kinda hard :( But thanks for the advice mate.

Dave

6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Getting in the hardest thing you will do.

I believe Wagnerk took 5 years whilst myself took 8 with a 3 year break as I was really pissed off with all the rejections. You just have to keep trying.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. beaumontdvd

Yeah mate, its not good. Especially when theres people in IT that have no interest what so ever apart from their pay packet and theres people like us that give it everything we have got:rolleyes:

8. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

Would you travel to Guildford for a 20K+ Packet?

9. beaumontdvd

Yep, but 20k for a helpdesk job :blink

10. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

You think that is a lot? or not a lot?

11. beaumontdvd

Well the average helpdesk job employess don't get 20k LOL 8)
    well the ones I've been looking at anyway its more along the lines of 12-13 hence the entry level position.

12. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

this comment is not intended to make you discount helpdesk, but there are other positions for entry to IT. So widen your search of you are only applying to helpdesk roles.

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  13. beaumontdvd

Ok mate will do, what entry positions do you recommend? As most the ones I look for seem to ask for asp net/c+ ect..

14. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

how about IT technican, field service engineer etc etc

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  15. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Actually I take umbrage at that remark, if I could find a job outside of IT that paid me anywhere near the amount I get in IT I would take it. Don't get me wrong I like the challenges that IT can throw at me but having been doing it for 12+ years now it really doesn't satisfy me anywhere near as it did in the past. The only reason I get new certs these days is to enhance my earning capacity.

As an aside, I think the reason I am a contractor is because of the change in jobs every 12 - 18 months gives me some new challenge that I use to get me over the boredom of the previous job (when it's wound up and there isn't a lot of work left to be done, I am predominantly projects orientated). Please understand, I came here because I like the challenge that new certifications offer but I sure as hell don't get challenged that often when it comes to the job (and I am not talking service desk based roles here, I am a TDA\Consultant).

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  16. beaumontdvd

Didnt mean to offend anyone, Let me re-phrase that the way I meant it, there are some people in IT that I have met that don't do it because they have an interest in it. They do it because everyone says IT is big money.

To be fair I think I would be exactly the same as you mate, after a while I would be bored and feel it is not as challengeable as before. But then again I haven't even got into IT so i have a while yet :twisted:

17. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Add to the fact that I am nearly twice your age :)

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA